Wet vs Dry?? Scheduled vs free-picking?

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bbleho

Let's agree to disagree on that one!

I don't mind leaving wet food out, but I don't know if she'd eat it when it dried up. My last cat never did. Also, there will be times when I'm gone overnight, possibly the weekend, and it would be great if I had a self-regulating cat. I'm still leaning towards a can/day in 2 servings and dry as backup, so long as she doesn't overeat. That way I can use dry when I'm gone.
Sounds like a perfect plan. you have to do what is best for you and your cat, not someone else.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, when my cat was a kitten I fed wet food and as much as he wanted, it was never excessive. I didn't want to feed dry as I was aware that as he was due to be neutered and after, I was told he had a higher chance of a uti, so i was more comfortable with wet food. My sisters cat got a uti when he was a kitten and once changing to wet it did not happen again. I was told by a rescue centre that they could tell if a cat was fed on dry food because the teeth were in better condition so I invested in some logic gel which keeps his teeth and breath lovely and fresh, I got it from my vet so was happy with it. I also make sure that I buy the wet pouches which contain up to or over 50 % proper chicken, not the yuck stuff. I feed my kitty a pouch in the morning, a pouch when i come home and a pouch an hour before bed. Sometimes he will eat it all in one go, other times he will have half and go back. I have to say that my kitty doesn't seem to care how long his food has been out, he never checks his watch. Not that he leaves it too long before its gone anyway
His weight has always been consistent, he is always hydrated and he self regulates really well. He is a ginger long hair and his coat is like silk. His food is a bit more expensive but in my opinion worth it and its only a few less cakes for me a month, no sacrifice to me!! I also give him a treat every night when we are all tucked up in or on the bed at night. I got some good advice from here when my cat was a kitten and I am very happy with it. Although I do think that every cat is different. I do however think that most over weight cats are fed try or too much stuff off humans plates and for some reason I don't like the idea of canned food, not sure why though. Good luck and i am sure you will find the best for your cat

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this is your fear then there are timed feeders that can be purchased that keeps things cool and open and close at the times you set it to

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just from my own experience here. I feed only wet and dry is off limits. Started with wet and about 10% dry after weaning and once she reached 6 months old, I eradicated the dry completely. I also am away from home for quite long hours and I have no problem feeding an all wet diet. I do not use a timed feeder either and I leave out wet food (morning) and another plate of frozen wet food for her. She will eat her wet food irregardless if it is freshly opened, thawed or dried out. So, it's really a matter of giving her the choice and see if she is opened to it.

I do understand that a lot of people are wary when it comes to leaving out wet food for long hours. If you read the link provided by one of the responder, you will see that there is no harm in leaving wet food out. This is mainly because a cat's digestive system is very much different from ours. Even raw feeders have to deal with food left out for sometime before it is being consumed entirely. In the wild, your cat does not finish a meal at one seating.

We just need to cater to our cat's needs first and foremost and that is why a wet diet, to me, is the most species appropriate.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

If this is your fear then there are timed feeders that can be purchased that keeps things cool and open and close at the times you set it to
truely a wonderful option

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a timed feeder for when we go away for a day or and night and I would use it if I needed to during the day when we are at work but too be honest, we don't need to. His food is always gobbled up when we get home, hehehe. It is def good option for anyone who is away for the long periods of time that some are, bless you you must be exhausted some days!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbleho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many consecutive days can those timed feeders be set for?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bbleho

How many consecutive days can those timed feeders be set for?
I have seen a dry feeder with eight slots ... the cold ones I think usually have three or five