Wet or Dry?

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha Ha!  Get her on a schedule????  I can barely keep myself to a schedule, and Lady has her own ideas about food!!!!  I have been quite firm on the Dreamies issue though.  If she doesn't eat her proper food she doesn't get dreamies............ a bit like children and sweets!  lolol xx
Oh, I didn't mean you had to be as stringent about the schedule as I am.  If you feed her twice a day on a somewhat schedule she'll do just fine.  Once in the morning and once in the evening when you get home should be okay.  If you still want to use kibble maybe leave a small amount out for her to graze on in between her (MAIN) meals which would be the wet meals.

denise mackie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, yes that's pretty much what I do.  She gets her brekkie while the kettle is boiling for my morning coffee, and then she gets her tea as soon as I get in from work, roughly the same time every day.  And as she is an indoor cat, she really doesn't need much more than that, with her dry food to nibble on if she is peckish during the day!  :-)

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dry food isn't good for a cat's teeth. Not at all. Dry food, if the cat crunches it at all, makes crumbs, and the crumbs stick to the teeth and between the teeth and get under the gum line, where they breed bacteria, which turns into plaque and then tartar. Dry food does not clean teeth.

I'm so glad I found this thread! From the mouth of a vet I know: "dry food is better than wet food, it cleans teeth and causes her to drink more water, thus helping to prevent kidney stones later on".  Needless to say, I was suspicious.

Problem with my cat is that she likes one kind of label - Sanabelle - and they only make dry food. I tried numerous labels, she always choses that. (Even delicious Sheba did not pass the test!) I resorted to soaking her dry portions in tap water and giving her raw chicken breast alternatively, together with egg yolks from time to time. Better than serving her dry food all the time, I guess...

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dry food isn't good for a cat's teeth. Not at all. Dry food, if the cat crunches it at all, makes crumbs, and the crumbs stick to the teeth and between the teeth and get under the gum line, where they breed bacteria, which turns into plaque and then tartar. Dry food does not clean teeth. :)

I'm so glad I found this thread! From the mouth of a vet I know: "dry food is better than wet food, it cleans teeth and causes her to drink more water, thus helping to prevent kidney stones later on".  Needless to say, I was suspicious.

Problem with my cat is that she likes one kind of label - Sanabelle - and they only make dry food. I tried numerous labels, she always choses that. (Even delicious Sheba did not pass the test!) I resorted to soaking her dry portions in tap water and giving her raw chicken breast alternatively, together with egg yolks from time to time. Better than serving her dry food all the time, I guess... :stars:
Would you be able to just start her on an all raw diet? That would solve the problem. :nod:

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would you be able to just start her on an all raw diet? That would solve the problem.
Yes, of course I would! 

The only problem is that I'm afraid not to create an imbalance in her diet, by accident. I tend to look upon commercial food as the safe option, nutrients wise. 

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, of course I would! 

The only problem is that I'm afraid not to create an imbalance in her diet, by accident. I tend to look upon commercial food as the safe option, nutrients wise. 
Commercial raw is also an option. :) They are already balanced for you and ready to go. :nod:

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and just to touch on the commercial raw subject - I have been feeding Nature's Variety raw for almost three months now, with great results! If you want to look into that brand I can help you out if you have any questions. :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, of course I would!

Commercial raw is also an option. :) They are already balanced for you and ready to go. :nod:
Yep- and there are some great options on the market to choose from! That is what I feed my cats, commercially made raw. You never know, Lady might really like it. Nature's Variety has sample bags so easy to have a trial run with your cat that way instead of buying a whole three pound bag. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not interested in a raw diet. If someone is I'm sure they know that there is a raw section on this forum...?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not interested in a raw diet. If someone is I'm sure they know that there is a raw section on this forum...?
Yes, I know you are not interested in a raw diet, I edited my post as I was replying to Jokasta. Thanks for pointing that out, though.

Jokasta - here is the link to the raw forum. The raw resources thread will also be VERY helpful to you. :) http://www.thecatsite.com/f/65/raw-feeding-for-cats

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only cat I had as a child was an abandoned white kitten left in our yard.  My mother brought it in and they immediately bonded.  My mother's Schnauzer raised the kitten LOL :nod: At the time we had 2 other dogs besides the Schnauzer.  A Doberman named Sadie and my spaniel named Peanuts.  Neither of them would have anything to do with the kitten but *would* gently play with it under my mother's stern supervision.  To make it short,  the kitten did not know she was feline.  She thought she was canine!  :D   She acted like a dog her entire life.  She lived until the age of 16 when she had a sudden stroke.  RIP Kitty!  You are loved and remembered  :9:
This is how my cat acts as well. Maybe he was raised by his wolf pack lol. He is awesome. He comes when he is called and he has a specific loyalty to me although he will tolerate other people.
I'm not really a cat person but there is the odd one that really gets to me. Bo is one of them and I had one other that was sooooo sweet!
Long story short she was a gift to my then bf because I "lost" his cat (the cat escaped the house.... he was an unaltered male... we never found him). I brought her home and she was TINY! At full grown she weighed a whopping 4 pounds. She ended up being mine and she was THE SWEETEST CAT I have ever met in my entire life. She was a tabby calico (rip Kitz). I miss her now that I'm talking about her :'(

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my
. are as follows: I see nothing wrong with, a high quality dry food. Plus, some wet and or raw. I feed my personal cats, live prey (mice, rats, quail, chicks) twice a day, plus Evo (Chicken and turkey) dry. The three domestics and Savannah, have done great, on that diet. The domestics, also, are given wet food one or two times a day. Sometimes, they will eat it. But not always. The F3 Savannah is too food aggressive, to be given wet food. But, he is fine with prey and dry food. I have NO idea, why, he is like that.

Last edited: