Wet Food Without Chicken/Turkey

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I'm trying to figure out if my cat might have a sensitivity to an ingredient in her food. I have three cats total. They get American Journey turkey and chicken wet foods, Purina One dry food, and Fancy Feast wet. I figure the most obvious ingredients would be the chicken and turkey, so I'm going to try to cut those out. However, I'd ultimately like to avoid fish too because I have a cat prone to UTIs and have read that fish isn't good for that. I'd prefer that the food was available on Chewy as well. Are there any good wet foods with no chicken or turkey in them that don't cost a fortune? I can pay for a little more than what I spend on the American Journey, but not much more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about something with beef or liver or both?When I had kittens,I always started them out on beef and liver (the walmart brand) and they did really well.I did notice when I used turkey and giblets there were some that had diarhhea,and I also noticed that there seemed to be quite a bit of fat in that food but not in the beef and liver (or at least it wasn't so noticeable).Could it be that the poultry based you're feeding has too much fat and that's what's bothering her?I don't really have any idea...just a thought.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No poultry and no fish is a high order. I am in the same boat of my crew does best on no poultry. I often have to accept something less then desired to make it work on my budget but no poultry is my top priority. My current non fish rotation includes:

Wet: Merrick Backcountry has a rabbit and beef flavor without poultry. Merrick Puurfect line also has some without poultry but that one has chunks of potatoes and peas in it (I just pick those out). Tiny Tiger beef pate doesn't have poultry. I also have Tiki cats or Soulistic fish flavors every few days. I dont feed it because my picky group has texture issues, but Only Natural Pets had a few flavors with poultry.

Dry: Instinct Limited Rabbit and Go! Solutions Lamb and Boar (which does have Salmon, but I just try to minimize fish not exclude).

I also sprinkle on Nulo Tasty Topper in beef to make it a little more enticing for my picky little ones. Its a ground powder and a little goes a long way.

Always ready labels because chicken is a really sneaky ingredient. Even rebuking the same food, double check. I've had formula changes that add in chicken when it wasnt there before. Chicken fat is okay, it doesn't have any protein and the protein is what causes allergic reactions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about something with beef or liver or both?When I had kittens,I always started them out on beef and liver (the walmart brand) and they did really well.I did notice when I used turkey and giblets there were some that had diarhhea,and I also noticed that there seemed to be quite a bit of fat in that food but not in the beef and liver (or at least it wasn't so noticeable).Could it be that the poultry based you're feeding has too much fat and that's what's bothering her?I don't really have any idea...just a thought.
I'll take anything without chicken or turkey. I've no idea what's going on with her. She could probably do with a little less fat of her own... She's lost some fur on her belly and two vets claimed stress/barbering, but I have a hard time believing it so now I'm on the hunt for the cause.

No poultry and no fish is a high order. I am in the same boat of my crew does best on no poultry. I often have to accept something less then desired to make it work on my budget but no poultry is my top priority. My current non fish rotation includes:

Wet: Merrick Backcountry has a rabbit and beef flavor without poultry. Merrick Puurfect line also has some without poultry but that one has chunks of potatoes and peas in it (I just pick those out). Tiny Tiger beef pate doesn't have poultry. I also have Tiki cats or Soulistic fish flavors every few days. I dont feed it because my picky group has texture issues, but Only Natural Pets had a few flavors with poultry.

Dry: Instinct Limited Rabbit and Go! Solutions Lamb and Boar (which does have Salmon, but I just try to minimize fish not exclude).

I also sprinkle on Nulo Tasty Topper in beef to make it a little more enticing for my picky little ones. Its a ground powder and a little goes a long way.

Always ready labels because chicken is a really sneaky ingredient. Even rebuking the same food, double check. I've had formula changes that add in chicken when it wasnt there before. Chicken fat is okay, it doesn't have any protein and the protein is what causes allergic reactions.
I know! I could deal with fish if necessary since I could just feed her a different food, but it's easier to not have to deal with it. For a while, I plan on feeding just her the different food so I can figure out if chicken or turkey is the problem rather than switching them all possibly multiple times and then I'll decide if I'm going to switch the other two over to that food.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them.

Yes, I've noticed the few I looked at that were a decent price seemed to end up having chicken in them. Good to know about the chicken fat though!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are going to conduct a proper food trial, you'll need to change the dry food as well. There are a lot of plant-based ingredients (fruit, veggies, starches, grains, etc) in dry food that aren't a natural part of a cat's diet. If you really want to get a hold of this, I would eliminate the dry food altogether and change to a single protein that's not poultry OR fish. Fish is the next most common food allergy after chicken. I would try beef or rabbit. Treats too. Match the treats to the wet food. The easiest would be freeze dried meat treats in the same protein. As for brands, Rawz is the best for conducting food trials because their single protein foods really are single protein. They don't include any other plant-based nonsense ingredients. Unfortunately, Rawz is pricey and hard to find. I am told that if you write the company, they'll send you samples. If your cats like them, you can order a case online if you can't find it locally.
Where to Buy | RAWZ

If you can't eliminate the dry food, then do your best to match the proteins. That might mean pricier dry food. But if your cats are truly allergic to one protein or another, reducing their intake doesn't put out the fire. It just keeps it smoldering at a lower heat. You'll need to eliminate the allergen(s) altogether for your cat to truly get relief.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use this chart to find canned foods that meet your criteria of chicken-free and turkey-free and whatever else: Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients
Oh, that's cool. I'll have to go through that. Thank you!

If you are going to conduct a proper food trial, you'll need to change the dry food as well. There are a lot of plant-based ingredients (fruit, veggies, starches, grains, etc) in dry food that aren't a natural part of a cat's diet. If you really want to get a hold of this, I would eliminate the dry food altogether and change to a single protein that's not poultry OR fish. Fish is the next most common food allergy after chicken. I would try beef or rabbit. Treats too. Match the treats to the wet food. The easiest would be freeze dried meat treats in the same protein. As for brands, Rawz is the best for conducting food trials because their single protein foods really are single protein. They don't include any other plant-based nonsense ingredients. Unfortunately, Rawz is pricey and hard to find. I am told that if you write the company, they'll send you samples. If your cats like them, you can order a case online if you can't find it locally.
Where to Buy | RAWZ

If you can't eliminate the dry food, then do your best to match the proteins. That might mean pricier dry food. But if your cats are truly allergic to one protein or another, reducing their intake doesn't put out the fire. It just keeps it smoldering at a lower heat. You'll need to eliminate the allergen(s) altogether for your cat to truly get relief.
I was planning on cutting the dry out of her diet altogether for the time being. Figured it would easier to deal with changing just her to just one food and deal with the rest later if this helped. Once I get her fully transitioned to a new wet food (went ahead and got one just to get her started, but not sure I'll stick with it), I'll cut out everything with chicken or turkey. Rawz seems interesting, but even if it wasn't expensive, it seems most online stores are out of stock of everything other than chicken! Doesn't look like I have any local places selling it either.

I will cut out the dry while we're testing this. If it turns out she has an allergy, I'll figure out what I'm going to do about the dry. They don't get much, so it isn't a huge deal to cut it out.

Thanks.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can definitely say Koha and Lotus has limited ingredient diet foods without chicken or turkey. A lot of foods, even beef, generally have some form of chicken hidden away.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can definitely say Koha and Lotus has limited ingredient diet foods without chicken or turkey. A lot of foods, even beef, generally have some form of chicken hidden away.
Cool, thank you. I'll look into them.