Wet food vs dry food

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
What do you think is healthier wet or dry food help me decide should I switch spooky to just wet she seems to like it I'm just curious to know does dry food hurt them in anyway?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wet food is generally better for cats. Dry food is as far from natural food source as you can get. Its low moisture content can contribute to kidney problems while carb content can contribute to diabetes and weight issues. Dry food was made to meet human needs during war times and the pet food industry realized how profitable it was. Essentially meaning the dry is wartime rations that outlasted the war. It has its place in our homes at this time, I feed some dry myself, but whenever possible by situation and budget a wet diet is better for our cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She gets it dry sometimes I refuse to feed her dry food I also add water to her wet food too and I add in greenbeans she steals them off my plate she gets them once in awhile

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I mean all the time I mean I don't want her getting sick I love my child way too much she's currently protesting because I'm not playing with her right now

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dry food can increase the chance of some health issues but feeding dry food doesn't mean a cat WILL get sick. Wet food is healthier.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll stick with wet food should I feed her twice a day shes one years old

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is eating all her food and not begging between meals, two meals is good. But cats do like more frequent meals if your schedule allows it.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no reason to feed a Cat dry food if they will eat wet food, if she'd rather eat that then you can quite safely ditch the dry and never look back.

Dry food does have it's places though, most shelters/rescues operate on donations and can't afford to feed canned food all the time so they have to use dry to supplement it. Most people who feed colonies of Ferals and strays have to use mostly dry food for the same reason, it's prohibitively expensive otherwise. It may be junk, but it beats starving.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Waking me up at 7 am walking over my bladder until she forces me out of my bed to feed her

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Trust me she's dramatic meowing like she's going to die it's 5 more minutes does not exist with this cat

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
There's no reason to feed a Cat dry food if they will eat wet food, if she'd rather eat that then you can quite safely ditch the dry and never look back.

Dry food does have it's places though, most shelters/rescues operate on donations and can't afford to feed canned food all the time so they have to use dry to supplement it. Most people who feed colonies of Ferals and strays have to use mostly dry food for the same reason, it's prohibitively expensive otherwise. It may be junk, but it beats starving.
The other cat sandwich eats it she's not a fan

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed wet food for all of my two cats meals, but they do get a little kibble in a food puzzle or a dispensing treat ball that they bat around to keep them entertained when left alone, but I agree wet food is best for them.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
7am? Lucky. Link wakes me up at 6am at the latest, usually 4am but sometimes he let's me sleep in.
When she was in the cage it was 4am I was met with a stretched paw and claws to the face

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food is far better than dry food, I always recommend feeding cats 3 times a day, morning, after work, and before bed. This way they shouldn't be hounding you as much for food lol. Cats who are shed only twice can be prone to UTIs and vomiting.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the answer depends on the cat and circumstances but if everything was ideal, no special need, not a picky eater... to me it looks like the best option is having BOTH wet and dry food in the diet. More wet than dry. And this is assuming the dry and wet foods are both good quality.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
What do I do if she has diarrhea because of the wet food should I stop it or mix it in with a little dry food she only had it when she was introduced to it as a kitten but it's the same brand 9 lives unless you any ideas for a different brand i should use that won't cause this

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Spooky eats wet food and having loose stools right away I don't know if her body is getting used to the wet food but she's had it before