Wet food test went great

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since my new 12 week old kittens were doing so well eating their dry kitten food, I decided to split a 3 oz can of salmon and white fish kitten food between the two of them. I'm happy to say that they licked their bowls clean.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since my new 12 week old kittens were doing so well eating their dry kitten food, I decided to split a 3 oz can of salmon and white fish kitten food between the two of them. I'm happy to say that they licked their bowls clean.
That is awesome .  I am glad they enjoyed it ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is awesome .  I am glad they enjoyed it ..
This morning was Ocean White Fish and Tuna. They practicly wouldn't let met put it in their wet food bowls as they kept trying to eat it as I was putting some in their bowls. Looks like transitioning from dry to wet probably wont be that hard afterall if this keeps up :).

Last edited:

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This morning was Ocean White Fish and Tuna. They practicly wouldn't let met put it in their wet food bowls as they kept trying to eat it as I was putting some in their bowls. Looks like transitioning from dry to wet probably wont be that hard afterall if this keeps up
Glad to hear it's going so well. I would try to get them on others flavors so they don't get addicted to just fish flavor canned food. It's best if they had the fish flavors every once in a while.

My cat when she was younger would eat really good if I gave her fish flavored canned food but now she is allergic to any fish or fish oils in canned food. I now have a hard time finding foods she will eat.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree to try a wide variety of flavors (and brands) so they don't become picky little things.  I have one who will ONLY eat chicken, and even within that HUGE arena, he is stlll extremely picky...only will eat  two very specific varieties, which I have to interchange with each meal.  It's fairly frustrating.

As kittens, though, you may have problems finding too many varieties in kitten food, which they definitely  need at their tender young age, but I'd give it my best shot .

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was only doing it as a test to see if a) they would eat it and b) if it caused any stomach issues (diarrhea). The rescue told me to give it to them as a treat and not as a every meal thing for now. I'm taking them to the vet tomorrow for their last shot and just a general check up so I will ask him.

nwfn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good work on getting your kittens used to canned food. Canned is a better choice than dry. Cats have low thirst instinct; their bodies expect to obtain significant moisture content from their food. Therefore dry food causes dehydration and kidney problems. Best to phase out the dry food soon.

And a warning about trusting veterinary advice on this subject. Vets are trained in medicine, but they often receive little education on nutrition. They tend to parrot whatever Science Diet (and similar) representatives tell them. Do your own research. I've learned this the hard way.

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed that a little of the poop not all in the litter box was flat in shape and not round so I'm assuming that would be diarrhea. I was warned by the rescue that I should introduce the wet food slowly to prevent that. Oh well maybe it's the Purina Pro Plan Kitty that I'm using that causing the problems. Any help with better food brand would be great. They seem to like the dry Purina Pro Plan Focus Kitten food. I get two free bags of it which is why I purchased it.

I was thinking of transitioning them over to the Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] dry Cat Food chicken flavored and possibly then to Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] Cat Food canned Beef, Chicken, and Salmon flavors or BLUE Wilderness[emoji]8482[/emoji] Kitten Food or Wellness Core Kitten formula.

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I noticed that a little of the poop not all in the litter box was flat in shape and not round so I'm assuming that would be diarrhea. I was warned by the rescue that I should introduce the wet food slowly to prevent that. Oh well maybe it's the Purina Pro Plan Kitty that I'm using that causing the problems. Any help with better food brand would be great. They seem to like the dry Purina Pro Plan Focus Kitten food. I get two free bags of it which is why I purchased it.

I was thinking of transitioning them over to the Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] dry Cat Food chicken flavored and possibly then to Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] Cat Food canned Beef, Chicken, and Salmon flavors or BLUE Wilderness[emoji]8482[/emoji] Kitten Food or Wellness Core Kitten formula.
It is possible that they just stepped on the poops and flattened them .  Check their little bums for  poop or redness , sometimes that will be a sign of diarrhea ..

I feed my cats Natures Variety Instinct Grain Free Chicken kibble and they love it . It is excellent food ..  I have not tried the canned yet . 

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It is possible that they just stepped on the poops and flattened them .  Check their little bums for  poop or redness , sometimes that will be a sign of diarrhea ..

I feed my cats Natures Variety Instinct Grain Free Chicken kibble and they love it . It is excellent food ..  I have not tried the canned yet . 
Never thought of that and would explain why some was normal (round) and some were flat. I have read great things about Natures Variety Instinct Grain Free Chicken kibble so I think I will change them over to that and gradually introduce them to Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] Cat Food canned Beef, Chicken, and Salmon flavors, BLUE Wilderness[emoji]8482[/emoji] Kitten Food and Wellness Core Kitten formula.

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Never thought of that and would explain why some was normal (round) and some were flat. I have read great things about Natures Variety Instinct Grain Free Chicken kibble so I think I will change them over to that and gradually introduce them to Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] Cat Food canned Beef, Chicken, and Salmon flavors, BLUE Wilderness[emoji]8482[/emoji] Kitten Food and Wellness Core Kitten formula.
All great foods  , sounds like a good plan ..

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Thanks everyone. I have to take Tangerine and Mango in to the vets today for their first check up and to get their final feline distemper vaccine done. Since there is a pet smart down the street from there, I will pick up a bag Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] Rawboost grain free Chicken kibble, a variety of Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] Cat Food canned Beef, Chicken, and Salmon flavors, BLUE Wilderness[emoji]8482[/emoji] Kitten Food, Wellness Core Kitten formula and a bag of Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] Rawboost Mini Cat Treats. This way I can rotate various flavors and brands and stay away from the white fish flavor as someone on here said not to feed that to them.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi,

Thanks everyone. I have to take Tangerine and Mango in to the vets today for their first check up and to get their final feline distemper vaccine done. Since there is a pet smart down the street from there, I will pick up a bag Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] Rawboost grain free Chicken kibble, a variety of Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] Cat Food canned Beef, Chicken, and Salmon flavors, BLUE Wilderness[emoji]8482[/emoji] Kitten Food, Wellness Core Kitten formula and a bag of Nature's Variety[emoji]174[/emoji] Instinct[emoji]174[/emoji] Rawboost Mini Cat Treats. This way I can rotate various flavors and brands and stay away from the white fish flavor as someone on here said not to feed that to them.
Hope the vet visit goes well ..  Sounds like your babies  have a wonderful home ..

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well just got home from the vet and the kitten's heart and lungs sound great, Tangerine is 3.31 lbs at 13 weeks and Mango was 3.75 lbs at 13 weeks, neither had a temp and they each had their claws trimmed and there distemper combo given. However they both do have a slight respiratory infection going on (figured that was the case since they have been sneezing, but wasn't for sure, so I have to give them:

Viralys gel twice a day

Ofloxacin twice a day for 10-14 days and

Clavamox Liquid (antibiotic) twice a day

The final cost was $159.51, but that included their shot, nail trim, exam, and medicine. At least now I know for sure what the sneezing is all about and they will get better the further along treatment wise they get. This was obviously something they picked up at the original shelter which the vet said was very common. The vet did say not to start transitioning the kittens over from dry to grain free dry and wet yet until the respiratory infection is gone.

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well just got home from the vet and the kitten's heart and lungs sound great, Tangerine is 3.31 lbs at 13 weeks and Mango was 3.75 lbs at 13 weeks, neither had a temp and they each had their claws trimmed and there distemper combo given. However they both do have a slight respiratory infection going on (figured that was the case since they have been sneezing, but wasn't for sure, so I have to give them:

Viralys gel twice a day

Ofloxacin twice a day for 10-14 days and

Clavamox Liquid (antibiotic) twice a day

The final cost was $159.51, but that included their shot, nail trim, exam, and medicine. At least now I know for sure what the sneezing is all about and they will get better the further along treatment wise they get. This was obviously something they picked up at the original shelter which the vet said was very common. The vet did say not to start transitioning the kittens over from dry to grain free dry and wet yet until the respiratory infection is gone.
Thanks for the update . Aside from the URI  it sounds like they are good to go . 

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the update . Aside from the URI  it sounds like they are good to go . 
Correct, and they also cleaned their ears out as well since they said they were dirty. I noticed that, but I wasn't sure how to clean them myself. I'm starting the meds for them on Friday. The great thing is I can clear them up of the URI and when they decide to lay next to me at night, no more clawing my arms, legs, etc since their nails got clipped.

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Correct, and they also cleaned their ears out as well since they said they were dirty. I noticed that, but I wasn't sure how to clean them myself. I'm starting the meds for them on Friday. The great thing is I can clear them up of the URI and when they decide to lay next to me at night, no more clawing my arms, legs, etc since their nails got clipped.
That is awesome , I am glad they are doing well ..  They sure are a couple of cuties ..

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep. They seem to be fitting it really well here and I will now be able to lay in bed and watch TV again now that their nails are clipped. I ordered a pair of vet grade nail clippers on line that actually cut the nail evenly and not just smash it which I should have on Friday so I can keep their nails consistently short.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Good work on getting your kittens used to canned food. Canned is a better choice than dry. Cats have low thirst instinct; their bodies expect to obtain significant moisture content from their food. Therefore dry food causes dehydration and kidney problems. Best to phase out the dry food soon.

And a warning about trusting veterinary advice on this subject. Vets are trained in medicine, but they often receive little education on nutrition. They tend to parrot whatever Science Diet (and similar) representatives tell them. Do your own research. I've learned this the hard way.
I agree

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to hold off on the switching over until the URI in them is cleared up by the medicine the vet gave me. They said it's better to let them continue on what they have been eating then by making changes to it while the URI is still in them.