Wet Food - so what's the secret ingrediant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I just stood in the store & looked at the label of every single flavor. For some reason, people kept look at me like I was nuts!
Oh i do that too...some I skipped over (like Meow Mix) because I assumed it was just like Friskies.

Anyhoo, yes, FF has by-meat in it. That I do know...including the medleys.

I :love3: the Pounce Meat Treats (with REAL meat). I just bought them rbought them home as I was running short on time. Meat is the 5th ingrediant for these treats.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the Meow Mix market selects are pretty good except for being fish heavy. Some of them do have by-products though. My cats favorites are Salmon and Crab and Tuna and Shrimp. They will also eat the Chicken and liver but not with quite the gusto as the other two. Those three don't have by-products but even the chicken and liver's ingredients start with tuna.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I wonder if they put MSG in Fancy Feast.
I'm sure lots of pet foods do. MSG can be listed under multiple names like autolyzed yeast, whey protein, hydolyzed vegetable protein, even natural flavoring.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty was eating Nutro wet (reluctantly) -- I went on vacation and my mother switched him to FF (told me he didn't like my food). He gobbles anything FF with fish in it like it is the best thing he has ever eaten. Some of their fish entrees are truly discusting to look at but he sure loves them.

I keep reading here that fish isn't good for cats but I can definately say that my cat prefers it over chicken, beef or turkey.

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I've always suspected that FF has some kind of caramel in it that attracts/addicts the kitties. I have to admit that I tried a few flavors myself out of curiosity (just a taste), and found it sweeter and smellier than a lot of brands. Supposedly cats don't like anything sweet, but how many of us have seen cats go wild over cake, pudding, etc.?
I buy it about once a month as a special treat (junk food), but otherwise try to stick to healthier canned foods.
I was told just the opposite about cats liking sweet. That's why they like the "junk foods" out there. It's coated with sweet tasting sprays. The Cosequin supplement my kitty gets is sweet too, so when you put it on his food he gobbles it right down. I suggest you take a good hard look at your kittys coat and health and then watch what happens if you switch him to a cheaper food. The quality of food you feed any animals makes a HUGE difference. I've personally seen the differences on a few occasions.

pearla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got my kitten about a month ago, hes 3 months today.
I have been feeding him MAX CAT, GOURMET CLASSICS for kittens and he loves it. Feeds him about 3/4 a 3oz can twice a day, plus leaving out about 1/2 cup CANINE ROYAL dry food for when im not at home. He eats both with no problem.
DO YOU THINK IM OVER FEEDING HIM!!??

PS: WHAT IS BY-PRODUCTS AND HOW DO YOU KNOW ITS IN THE FOOD. WHY IS IT BAD FOR KITTY>

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

Artificial everything. It's really potent smelling, and tasting. There's a reason Fancy Feast is nicknamed "Kitty Crack".
I agree. They put artificial stuff in there so they will like it, which is not good. It is like junk food for cats, like people, cats can get addicted to bad food too.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lndscpsam

The quality of food you feed any animals makes a HUGE difference. I've personally seen the differences on a few occasions.
me too