Wet food recommendations for worlds pickiest, temptations-loving cat?

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My picky cat hates wet food. He doesn't drink much water so I'd love to switch him from dry to wet food, or at the very least half and half. I've spent hundreds of dollars now searching for a wet food he'd eat and so far I haven't had any luck.

The only thing he's ever really loved is temptations treats: crunchy, puree, meaty bites. You name is, he's wild for temptations brand. Does anyone else happen to have a picky kitty in love with temptations that finally found a wet food that works for them? Hoping that maybe I can find a kitty with similar taste buds!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve had problems trying to get my cats to eat a better quality wet food instead of Friskies but have no luck. The more it looks like real food, they walk away but when they hear a temptation bag open, wow, they all come running….i dont know what they put in them but my cats love them. I don’t give them very often, can be
fattening and not that great for their health.
Have you tried crushing up their dry food and sprinkling it over the wet food? When I feed my cats, I mix the wet food in with the dry otherwise it could get really expensive for me since I have 11 indoor cats.. Every now and then I feed them fancy feast, but over the years the company has changed the ingredients and have added veggies, such as spinach or rice, potatoes. It use to be a decent food, but not that great now. my cats will not eat pate at all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby loved Temptations treats, she still does but maybe not as much. However, I have never found any correlation between her love for them and what she would eat in terms of wet food.

I think that trying to crush the Temptations treats and adding them to various wet foods, as mentioned above, is one thing you could try to entice your cat to eat wet foods. You might have to add more of them as he gets through some of the wet food.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy hates temptations but maybe becaues temptations = getting a needle in the butt in her mind.
The vet is the first and only person to give her them. She looks at me like "you're not tricking me to eat that stuff." And walks off.

I've heard people one here have luck with fancy feast but neither of my cats like it.

Maybe try a really smelly fish food at first. Get a variety pack and see what your cat likes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve had problems trying to get my cats to eat a better quality wet food instead of Friskies but have no luck. The more it looks like real food, they walk away but when they hear a temptation bag open, wow, they all come running….i dont know what they put in them but my cats love them. I don’t give them very often, can be
fattening and not that great for their health.
Have you tried crushing up their dry food and sprinkling it over the wet food? When I feed my cats, I mix the wet food in with the dry otherwise it could get really expensive for me since I have 11 indoor cats.. Every now and then I feed them fancy feast, but over the years the company has changed the ingredients and have added veggies, such as spinach or rice, potatoes. It use to be a decent food, but not that great now. my cats will not eat pate at all.
Thanks! I've tried crushing his food and treats and he won't fall for it. I really thought crushed up temptations or the temptations puree mixed into some wet would be a winner! My boy also used to eat fancy feast but for some reason he turns it down now.

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indy hates temptations but maybe becaues temptations = getting a needle in the butt in her mind.
The vet is the first and only person to give her them. She looks at me like "you're not tricking me to eat that stuff." And walks off.

I've heard people one here have luck with fancy feast but neither of my cats like it.

Maybe try a really smelly fish food at first. Get a variety pack and see what your cat likes.
My boy used to like fancy feast but he turns it down now. He's never shown an interest in fish flavored wet food, only actual tuna but even the lowest sodium tuna I can find packed in water makes him sick. Maybe I can try a dab of actual tuna water mixed in with some wet food though!

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feeby loved Temptations treats, she still does but maybe not as much. However, I have never found any correlation between her love for them and what she would eat in terms of wet food.

I think that trying to crush the Temptations treats and adding them to various wet foods, as mentioned above, is one thing you could try to entice your cat to eat wet foods. You might have to add more of them as he gets through some of the wet food.
I've tried it, sadly he won't fall for it. I wish temptations would make wet food! I'm sure it wouldn't be the most healthy wet food but I'd be willing to take the trade off for the extra hydration.

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Have you tried Mouser? I don't know but they might be selling a sample of a variety pack, about 4-5 cans.
In case this helps;

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food - TheCatSite
Thank you for the suggestion! This is one he actually hasn't tried and I was excited to try it out but just read that it has brewers dried yeast which seems to upset his stomach. He can't have too many temptations because of it, it's a difficult ingredient to avoid.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy loves these! I've tried to use it as a topper for wet food but no luck. I've been searching high and low for a wet food with similar ingredients but can't find anything like it. I like that these are a moist treat, but more than one a day upsets his stomach so it doesn't get him very far in the way of hydration. I recommend them though if anyone is looking for a lickable treat for a kitty who doesn't like churu!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What other brands have you tried?

Beyond Duck is a good hit here and Iams Perfect Portions (kitten specifically in both cuts and pate).

I've had good luck with dropping a couple temptations beside the bowl and then walking away.

Also...weird as heck...informing them that they definitely won't like or eat what I'm preparing.

Have you tried heating it up with a bit of hot water or in the microwave for about 15 seconds?

Fancy Feast did change the recipes a bit so that's likely why he won't eat it anymore. Mine wouldn't either.

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is going to be an odd idea, but have you tried adding a bit of FortiFlora to his food? It's a probiotic (not the best out there, but good enough for most cats), but it is flavored with the same liver flavor that is coated on Temptations treats. It's one of the ways I managed to wean a Temptation-obsessed cat off of them a few years ago. You can sprinkle a bit on some wet food and see if it gets him eating.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy used to like fancy feast but he turns it down now.
Tell me about it. Same thing seems to be developing here. Mine's been wolfing it down quite well for weeks (though gradually mixed it with Purina 11+ - which she also seemed to really enjoy - but now seems to be losing interest in both. It's so frustrating. Went for 12 years eating the SAME wet and dry food with never an issue. So now I opened a can of the same Friskies pate that she's eaten all those years but then must have gotten tired of. Ate it all so far today. Go figure. Picky, picky....