Wet Food question

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you put out wet food, how long can you let it sit before throwing it away or putting it in the fridge? I find some times my cats eat like horses and other times they turn their noses up at it so I was just wondering.
Thanks

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can leave it out for hours. Once it starts getting dried out ( will turn darker brown on the edges), toss it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned food is a cooked product so it's fine to leave out all day in a a bowl or timed feeder. Some timed feeders have ice pack features to keep food cool. You can even freeze canned food into portion sizes and put the frozen chunk into the feeder compartments where they will slowly thaw. If you don't have a timed feeder and the weather is super hot and humid, which can encourage spoling of any moist food, leave canned food out for a couple hours. If you notice your cats not finishing the food in an hour or so, put the bowl away in the fridge.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget though wet food is far more likely to attract insects than dry food.

Some cats, mine included, don't want to eat the food or regurtiates after they eat when the food tastes or smells differently. Not necessarily because the food is bad though. On average my Hima has like one hour maximum time period for wet food, half an hour if it's a more greasy wet food. It can't go bad that fast but she still rejects.