Wet food ingredient comparisons

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the vast majority who don't feed 100% raw food to every cat, I decided to do my own research on commercial cat food that claims meat is the first ingredient, the recipe is all natural, etc. It seems like every time I read those claims I find there really are bad ingredients even though "meat byproducts" and "meat meal" are not listed (we have already discussed the problems with those terms in other threads). These include: guar gum, carageenan, grains, veggies, and things with long names that are difficult to remember. It makes me wonder if looking for any food will ever be made with only water, muscle meat, organs, and supplements in that order will ever be produced.

To do this, we need to look at the food manufacturer websites, where ingredients are listed exactly as they appear on the cans in bigger print.

We already know where "real chicken" (or turkey, salmon, etc.) comes from. What we have not discussed since I joined the board in is how to choose a can of wet food when they all have some evil ingredients. Many posters ask, "What is the best cat food?" Those people ask that just to learn about the different brands most of the time, not whether wet or raw is better. The only way to answer that question is learn about their useless ingredients - not just what they are, but also how much is in each can relative to the amount of  meat, liver, and supplements.

When I have time to research the subject, I will post links and quote the most significant information about it on manufacturer websites. When I have time, I will post links here and quote noteworthy information from pet food manufacturers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To compare apples to apples, I only looked at adult maintenance cans with chicken. If you want to look at others just click around on the sites for different flavors and age groups.

Here is what I found so far:

Blue Buffalo Turkey and Chicken Entree: http://www.bluebuffalo.com/cat-food/spa-select-turkey

Weruva Paw Licking Chicken: http://www.weruva.com/cat-cuisine-paw-lickin-chicken.php

Innova Cat and Kitten: http://www.innovapet.com/products/731

EVO 95% Chicken and Turkey: http://www.evopet.com/products/1401

California Natural Chicken and Brown Rice Formula: http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/1011

Nutro Natural Choice Chicken and Liver: http://www.nutro.com/natural-cat-food/natural-choice-cat-food/adult-cat-food-chicken-liver.aspx

When I read "Cat and Kitten" I wondered wby Innova does not sell a different can for kittens. That one suprised me.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you click on each ingredient on the Blue Buffalo webage you will get an explanation for its inclusion in the recipe. Here is the detailed list:

• Turkey
    Turkey is an excellent source of protein and is rich in calcium, potassium, B vitamins, niacin, iron and zinc which promote energy and overall health. Low in cholesterol and easy to digest.
  • Chicken Broth

• Chicken
    A high–quality, highly digestible protein source that provides essential amino acids, fatty acids, and certain minerals for muscle development, organ function, and energy. The chicken used in BLUE natural dog and cat foods comes from USDA–inspected facilities.

• Chicken Liver
    An organ meat high in protein, rich in iron and vitamin A, and used as a natural flavor enhancer.

• Carrots
    Carrots provide antioxidants and health protecting phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals. They are high in Vitamin A and carotenoids. Carotenoids are antioxidants providing protection against free radicals (cancer causing agents). The carrots used in BLUE dog and cat foods are whole fresh carrots sourced from approved USDA sources.

• Sweet Potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes are an excellent source of potassium, B vitamins and beta-carotene. They provide phytochemicals and carotenoids; sources of antioxidant agents providing natural protection against free radicals (cancer causing agents). The sweet potatoes used in BLUE dog and cat foods are fresh whole sweet potatoes sourced from USDA approved vendors.

• Whole Ground Brown Rice
    A natural whole grain rice that is associated with natural health foods. The bran portion provides essential B vitamins, minerals and fiber. Brown rice is an excellent, high–quality complex carbohydrate source for energy and fiber for colon health.

• Broccoli
    Broccoli is rich in Vitamins A & C, calcium and an excellent source of antioxidants.

• Guar Gum
    Guar Gum is primarily used as a thickener and stabilizer in canned food. A highly soluble and highly digestible fiber with a low caloric content that is known to significantly reduce cholesterol levels.

• Potassium Chloride
    Potassium is important for a healthy nervous system and a regular heart rhythm. Aids in proper muscle contraction and maintaining stable blood pressure.

• Choline Chloride
    Choline Chloride protects nerve function and maintains fat metabolism. Also helps regulate the liver and helps maintain acid and water balance.

• Salt
    A natural form of salt obtained from processing seawater. It is a supplement for sodium and chloride, essential nutrients required by dogs and cats. Sodium and chloride are electrolytes. They help regulate water balance in the body, aid in muscle contraction and nerve transmission and regulate the body's acid-balance. Sea salt also contains trace minerals associated with animal health.

• Flaxseed
    Ground flax seed contains flax seed oil, which is one of the richest sources of the essential Omega 3 fatty acids (linolenic acid). Flax is a good source of essential amino acids and contains all the essential vitamins and minerals required by dogs and cats. Flax is beneficial for its anti-inflammatory effect and has been known to help arthritis and prevent cancer. Flax seed is also a great fiber source that aids in digestion. Also an excellent source of Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids that promote healthy skin and coat.

• Cranberries
    An antioxidant that fights free radicals (toxins) in the body; a natural acidifier that contributes to urinary tract health, preventing bacterial infection in the urinary tract, and aid in the prevention of struvite crystals in the bladder and urethra.

• Blueberries
    Blueberries are an excellent source of Vitamins A & C, potassium, and fiber.

• Taurine
    Taurine is an amino acid required by cats and kittens. It is associated with growth, eye health, and cardiac health.
  • Carrageenan
  • Cassia Gum

• Vitamin A Supplement
    Vitamin A is essential for healthy bones, teeth, hair, skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. It is an oil soluble vitamin and is important to the immune system especially for respiratory infections. It is a building block of rhodopsin, a compound in the retina responsible for sight in partial darkness.

• Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1)
    Vitamin B1 is essential for the metabolism of carbohydrates and protein. It is also important for a healthy nervous system, keeps mucous membranes healthy, maintains normal function of the nervous system, muscles and heart. Also promotes normal growth and development.

• Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
    Riboflavin is important for the digestion of fats and carbohydrates and for healthy skin and coat. Key for normal growth and development.

• Niacin (Vitamin B3)
    Vitamin B3 is also called Nicotinic Acid or Nicotinamide. It is essential for healthy nerves and skin. It is important in the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and fats and reduces cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. Important for the proper health of the central nervous and GI systems.

• Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5)
    One of the B vitamins, it acts as a coenzyme in the conversion of amino acids and is important for healthy skin. It also promotes normal growth and development and aids in the release of energy from foods.

• Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6)
    Vitamin B6 is essential for the metabolism of proteins. It acts as a cofactor for the large hydrochloride number of enzymes involved in amino acid and metabolism. It is also involved in the metabolism of the precursor of heme—a compound of blood that helps in the normal function of the brain.

• Biotin (Vitamin B7)
    Also known as Vitamin H, it is active in the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates and protein, and the formation of fatty acids. It promotes normal health of sweat glands, nerve tissue, bone marrow, blood cells, skin, and hair. It is essential for growth and well-being.

• Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)
    A water soluble B-vitamin that plays an important role in various cellular functions.

• Vitamin B12 Supplement
    Vitamin B12 is a coenzyme in nucleic acid, protein and lipid synthesis. It is necessary for growth. Necessary for normal processing of carbohydrates, protein, and fat in the body.

• Vitamin D3 Supplement
    Vitamin D promotes healthy skin, bone, connective tissue and heart. It is necessary for the proper absorption and utilization of calcium and phosphorus.

• Vitamin E Supplement
    Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant that helps to improve circulation and cardiac output.
  • Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc)

• Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron)
    Iron is an essential mineral for preventing anemia, stimulating bone-marrow production of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is the red-blood cell pigment that carries oxygen to body cells and forms part of several enzymes and proteins.

• Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper)
    Copper promotes normal red blood cell formation, acts as a catalyst in storage and release of iron to form hemoglobin for red blood cells, assists in the production of several enzymes involved in respiration, promotes connective-tissue formation and central nervous system function and promotes normal insulin function. Copper is an essential mineral for preventing anemia in dogs and cats.

• Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese)
    Manganese is an essential mineral for normal growth and development, aids in carbohydrate metabolism, promotes nerve functions, aids in formation of connective tissue and is involved in the antioxidation process.

• Sodium Selenite
    Sodium Selenite is a source of selenium. Selenium is important to healthy muscles and nerves. It is also important in fertility and enhances the antioxidant characteristics of Vitamin E.

• Calcium Iodate
    Calcium is vital for the formation of strong bones and teeth. Also promotes healthy muscle and tissue growth.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK. But IMO, it's all basically B. S., and for these reasons:

Carrots provide antioxidants and health protecting phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals. They are high in Vitamin A and carotenoids. Carotenoids are antioxidants providing protection against free radicals (cancer causing agents). The carrots used in BLUE dog and cat foods are whole fresh carrots sourced from approved USDA sources.
Carrots are high in beta-carotene which people and dogs can convert into vitamin A. Cats lack the digestive enzymes necessary to convert beta carotene into Vitamin A. Carrots in cat food are filler, and beta carotene provides COLOR.

Same problem with sweet potatoes, and broccoli.

The Flax seed is also COMPLETELY misleading when it comes to cats. Cats lack the digestive enzyme necessary to utilize ALA - the omega 3 in plant-based sources. Flax does not help reduce inflammation and fight cancer in cats, because it is the omega 3, ALA, in flax seed that provides this benefit, and cats derive no benefit from it.

Broccoli - like other dark green leafy vegetables - are a potential problem for cats with their ability to exacerbate the creation of calcium oxalate crystals. Spinach, collard greens, broccoli, etc. have no business being in cat food.

This is EXCELLENT reading as re: fats and omega 3s in cats: http://www.blakkatz.com/fat.pdf

Or this:

Whole Ground Brown Rice
A natural whole grain rice that is associated with natural health foods. The bran portion provides essential B vitamins, minerals and fiber. Brown rice is an excellent, high–quality complex carbohydrate source for energy and fiber for colon health.
Um yeah, only cats have no nutritional requirement for complex carbohydrates or fiber, and carbs can cause their system problems over time.

This is the perfect example of MARKETING of stuff that a pet food company wants us to think is good for our cats when, in fact, it isn't.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure what cat foods you're listing. Were you trying to find foods without carageenan, guar gum, etc? :dk:

I haven't looked up the ingredients in the foods you listed, but I know for sure EVO uses carageenan.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out Tiki cat, used to carry this when I was selling cat food.  I think it a good & simple food line.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what cat foods you're listing. Were you trying to find foods without carageenan, guar gum, etc?
I haven't looked up the ingredients in the foods you listed, but I know for sure EVO uses carageenan.
I was looking for pet foods that claim to be all natural, grain-free, etc. because they were reportedly invented to give cats and dogs better food than popular brands like Science Diet and Friskies.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So you're going to list cat foods that claim to be all natural, and leave it up to the people viewing the thread to verify the claim, yes? Just want to be clear on what this list is. Thanks. :)

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you're going to list cat foods that claim to be all natural, and leave it up to the people viewing the thread to verify the claim, yes? Just want to be clear on what this list is. Thanks.
I want to know how much the all-natural, grain-free, and "real meat is the first ingredient" claims matter if cat foods have ingredients cats don't need and should not eat.

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Blue Buffalo "Spa Select" wet cat food has the ingredients Carrageenan and Broccoli in it and I'm not a fan of these ingredients for a cat. However, the Blue Buffalo "Feline Feast" canned wet food does not contain Carrageenan or Broccoli.

http://www.bluebuffalo.com/cat-food/feline-feast-chicken-turkey

When it comes to a canned wet food, my cat likes Blue Buffalo "Feline Feast". This is the only wet canned food he likes and will eat with gusto. No wet canned is perfect and I understand this so I try to limit the bad ingredients in wet canned food as much as I can for my 15 year old cat.

Just my two cents worth here.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like Weruva is the best I have listed so far, but can someone explain the potato starch and sunflower oil?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is broccoli bad or just not necessary?

From me, post #4 above:

OK. But IMO, it's all basically B. S., and for these reasons:

Carrots are high in beta-carotene which people and dogs can convert into vitamin A. Cats lack the digestive enzymes necessary to convert beta carotene into Vitamin A. Carrots in cat food are filler, and beta carotene provides COLOR.

Same problem with sweet potatoes, and broccoli.

The Flax seed is also COMPLETELY misleading when it comes to cats. Cats lack the digestive enzyme necessary to utilize ALA - the omega 3 in plant-based sources. Flax does not help reduce inflammation and fight cancer in cats, because it is the omega 3, ALA, in flax seed that provides this benefit, and cats derive no benefit from it.

Broccoli - like other dark green leafy vegetables - are a potential problem for cats with their ability to exacerbate the creation of calcium oxalate crystals. Spinach, collard greens, broccoli, etc. have no business being in cat food.

This is EXCELLENT reading as re: fats and omega 3s in cats: http://www.blakkatz.com/fat.pdf

Or this:

Um yeah, only cats have no nutritional requirement for complex carbohydrates or fiber, and carbs can cause their system problems over time.
This is the perfect example of MARKETING of stuff that a pet food company wants us to think is good for our cats when, in fact, it isn't.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like Weruva is the best I have listed so far, but can someone explain the potato starch and sunflower oil?

Thank you for the email to Weruva/BFF and support of our products. With diabetes, you are certainly on track looking for low carb alternatives. Diabetes is caused by the body’s inability to produce the requisite insulin that can properly balance blood sugar levels. Though some cats may have a genetic predisposition to diabetes, the key to preventing diabetes is limiting carbohydrate intake. Carbohydrates are made of sugars, and carbohydrates are primarily found in dry kibble foods. Eliminating dry kibble will help with this issue.

All of Weruva's and BFF's formulas are suitable for cats with diabetes.

Weruva’s formulas have very low carbohydrate content, ranging from 1-3%, depending upon the formula. BFF's carbs are around 1%. With regard to our foods, they are formulated for the "obligate carnivore" cat. Cats, whether kittens or seniors healthy or otherwise, require, or are “obliged” to, eat a meat based diet. Meat contains limited to no carbs.

Weruva Formulas in aspic – There are 5 formulas in this category, and they are all fish based. The only carbohydrates present in Polynesian BBQ, Outback Grill, Asian Fusion and Mack & Jack are those present in the vegetable gums (locust bean, guar carrageenan) used to thicken the formula. There is about 1% vegetable gum in the formula, meaning, there should be less than 1% carbohydrates. The same is true for the BFF aspic formulas. The other formula in this category is Marbella Paella. This flavor adds rice at about 2% of the formula. As rice is comprised of other things besides carbohydrates, the carbohydrate content is less than 2% in these formulas, around 2% max.

Formulas in Gravy – The remaining 11 formulas are in gravy. We use potato starch to thicken the gravy. The potato starch is about 1% of the formula, and as the starch contains other contents besides carbohydrates, there will be less than 1% carbs coming from the starch in the formula. Mideast Feast, Paw Lickin’ Chicken and Nine Liver have nothing else added besides the meat. The same is for the BFF formulas in gravy. Their carb content will be around 1% max. There are some formulas that have vegetables that will slide the carb count up a touch (Peking Ducken, Green Eggs & Chicken, Meow Luau). Steak Frites, Grandma’s Chicken soup and Mediterranean Harvest have some vegetables and also add a few potato cubes. The potato cubes can easily be removed, but when included, the carb count in these formulas in 1-2%. On The Cat Wok and Funky Chunky include rice, and they would max out around 2%.

Future production runs will eliminate the rice in the above.

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

President and co-founder
Weruva Because Weluvya!
Bold, my emphasis.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14469&start=0

The safflower oil... no clue.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to Weruva's website and discovered only two - Paw LIckin' Chicken and Nine Liver - have no orange or green veggies. I was surprised. Now I need to find out if anyone sells something like PLC or NL without the potato starch. If there is no such thing, I will buy those two.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My problem with Weruva ( which I used to feed) is that it's significantly lower in calories than most other quality canned cat foods and as a result I had to feed more than normal. My cats had a hard time maintaining their weight on it, but they are young and very active. 

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat really likes Weruva and what I do is rotate about four different brands of cat foods per week, so he does not usually get the same brand more than twice a week (so the calories all balance out). It's been VERY hot here lately (triple digits and high humidity) and since my cat drinks very little water (he only gets wet or raw food so usually their moisture is enough), I like to give him the Weruva on the really hot days as he'll get extra moisture in case he's dehydrated. He is fed 5.5 oz a day (or one can), but on the days I give him Weruva, I usually give him a quarter of a can of a pate style food extra (or some raw meat) (to cover those extra calories lost). But yeah, if you're trying to beef up your cat, you'll have to feed him extra than normal with Weruva cans.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In other words Weruva is purrfect for a cat like Wilbur, who weighed 18 pounds at one point, because he got fat by eating too much. His ideal weight was 12, but he only got that small by losing his appetite, the first symptom of CRF.

Patricia is almost as lazy as an alligator here. With no furry friend to play with, she sleeps a lot more. So I don't have to worry about her losing weight.

Last edited:

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In other words Weruva is purrfect for a cat like Wilbur, who weighed 18 pounds at one point, because he got fat by eating too much. His ideal weight was 12, but he only got that small by losing his appetite, the first symptom of CRF.

Patricia is almost as lazy as an alligator here. With no furry friend to play with, she sleeps a lot more. So I don't have to worry about her losing weight.
I agree.
If Cookie wasn't on raw, Weruva would be my #1 choice for her.

Last edited:

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What makes me sad is knowing I could have saved thousands of dollars and my favorite cat by feeding Weurva exclusively if only I had known about it and five years ago.