Weruva Paw lickin' chicken vs. Tiki Puka Puka luau succulent chicken

julesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Myt cats like both: Weruva's Paw licking' chicken and Tiki's Puka Puka luau succulent chicken. They look very similar to me. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? Tiki is more expensive so I was going to go with Weruva but don't want to compromise the quality.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, Weruva typically has lower iodine content than almost all the other cat food brands available, and they also tend to try to keep the phosphate levels in their brands at the minimum AAFCO requirements. However, sometimes their calorie content is a tad low.

Can you feed both? I like to rotate brands, partly for variety since Mr Captain has decided that's what he wants, and also because the manufacturer may change the recipe and it becomes unpalatable to said cat :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can feed both. Just really trying to find a perfectly balanced wet food for my two 13 year old cats. Good quality high protein, lots of moisture, and whatever else is needed. I was looking at the two kinds I posted because my cats like both but I'm open to other options. Please post any recommendations you might have as I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed at the moment :-(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm also using Merrick Backcountry, Kasiks, Royal Canine, Forza10, Mouser, and Blue. I have some Wellness Core in the stash as well. I did a lot of research these past few years when my angel Poppycat started to have health issues.

Have your cats received a recent health checkup that's concerning you particularly? It seems to me that one of the most important things is water consumption.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had crystals in her urine so I had her on a low phosphorus food. Just recently she retested negative for crystals so all good now. So really no health issues, just looking for optimal food for their age group.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my perspective, the biggest difference between these two foods is that the Weruva food has two thickeners: potato starch and xanthan gum. Despite the potato, the carbs are allegedly low (3.9% dry matter, which is pretty low) but if you have a cat that's sensitive to xanthan gum or potato (as we do!) you simply can't feed that food. Tiki's food, though, has no thickeners. I wish our cats would eat Tiki food: it's very good stuff! They will sometimes eat Chewy's knock-off Landmark food, which they swear tastes much better. Ah, cats! 🤷‍♀️