We're infested with slugs!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Well, not really infested, but I went outside with the dogs this morning and there were a LOT of slugs on the siding of the house. There were probably about 2 dozen just hanging out. I never noticed them before in the morning, but it has been humid the last few days. Anyone else having problems with slugs? I don't care as long as they stay outside (I will say I have NEVER seen a slug in a house....unless it was one I brought in when I was little). Also, I remember the few times I did play with slugs when I was a kid, my mom said they were poisonous to touch and washed my hands off with alcohol. ARE they? And will they hurt my dogs if they decide to munch?
As a child in Peurto Rico, we thought they were poison. (Because there were areas of poisonous water and we believed that's where the slugs came from.) We have quite a few around our house and I think the only thing they hurt are the tomato plants. I can't bring myself to kill them
. I think they are just a big snail without a shell.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Time for a Slug Fest! We would go out at night and pour salt on them.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

My cousin does that! I was kind of hoping nobody would think to mention it
. I think I am the only slug fan on the site.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The beer bait traps work for both slugs and snails. Works best with white or clear, large plastic cups. You want to place the traps in areas where they are prominently causing plant damage early evening. Cut the top half of the cup off, then sink into the ground atleast half way. Use a pungent, golden beer and leave for a couple days. As soon as they hit the beer, they die a happy death! Also planks of wood, or large rocks they love to live under during the day. Also you can turn large objects (rocks wood planks), even set them out as traps, you will find them underneath, just pick them off and drop them in a cup of beer. It is so important to do this to control slug and snail infestation! They multiply very fast and can cause detestation beyond belief.

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wales has the biggest slugs I've ever seen. They average at 10cm long and 2cm thick in my back garden. I felt really yucked out the first time I saw them but now I'm getting used to them.

Monty had a different reaction though. I don't think he had ever seen a slug before we moved here and he decided it must be food.... He was sniffing one pretty hard and giving it quick little swipes with his paw. I tried to stop him.. But that just made him want it more of course. I started to pick him up, but then he got worried that I was trying to keep him from something good (like when I pick him up off the table when he's about to eat my food). He bit it real quick and took it with as I was lifting him up, then started chewing it in the air
Then I dropped him and he finished up all the bits.
It was one of the most disgusting and disturbing things to watch and I thought I was going to

After that he didn't look so good.
He was making the face (I wish there was an emoticon for this), you know the one where his mouth is sort of open a little and he just looks disgusted. I think he regretted it and decided it was gross. He did not barf. But he had ample opportunity after that to eat more and he hasn't

I didn't even think about the possibility of it being poisonous. I guess we were pretty lucky. Well, I don't know if Monty feels that way though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

Awwww...I wouldn't do that. I tried that as a kid and felt so sorry for the poor thing! As far as I can tell, they haven't really damaged any or my plants, and they can eat as many weeds as they want.