We're Going To Start The Bathroom....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This is the only room in the house that has had nothing done to it (other than painting) since we built the house. Rick is tired of it and it has to go. I think we're going to start it in the next couple months or so.....some of it. New window and sun tunnel for now. Rest to follow after the holidays.

This is a small bathroom with your standard built-in fiberglass tub/shower unit, toilet, and vanity. A huge double closet that takes up an inordinate amount of room in the room. The room will be gutted; everything will be gone and we're starting over. Rick has talked to the guy who designed our kitchen and he's coming down next week to start taking measurements for a first bathroom mock-up.

Once Rick agrees to the design, he will order the cabinets.....he'll get them from work as he can save a ton of money right there with his discount.

We're not having a bathtub; we just have a walk-in shower unit. It will be tiled with a rainshower (we have a rainshower now and we really like it), as well as a regular shower, and two lights in the ceiling. I would rather not have a shower door period because it's just something else for me to clean, but the room is too small to have a shower w/o a door. Rick and the designer have promised me that it will look "nice".....that scares me a little. :rolleyes: Nice being relative, of course.

Instead of a single vanity (that makes us crazy every time we have to get ready for work or something at the same time), we're going with a double.

Rick wants a heated floor. He seems to think that will suffice to heat the entire bathroom because heat rises. I get that. But on mornings when it's 10 degrees outside, I don't think that's going to work out so well. We need to talk to our electrician about that; I'm willing to go with what the electrician says.

Storage is always at a premium in this house. Always. And it does kind of bother me that we're giving up the double closet. That closet stores everything from linens for the bed to towels and washcloths, cat litter, dirty clothes, the iron, you name it, it's in there.

Right now there's a litter box in the bathroom....it's just there. And it does get used, but not often. We may put an opening the bottom of one of the cabinets and just place a large tub inside for the cats' litter box. That way, it's completely out of the way, yet with a door, I can easily get it out to clean and scoop. I did suggest not having a litter box in the bathroom at all, but well, five cats. There's a blasted litter box in every room of our house!

We're not sure yet about color. I would love to have dove-grey cabinets and Rick likes that idea. He wants a dark granite countertop. That's as far as we've gotten.

I'm more than a little worried about gutting the room. I'm not a cat and litter boxes won't work here! :flail: I like my showers (my sister already told me her shower is my shower). And I know Dear Richard. I love the man, I really love the man, but I know that he's slow as molasses in January; he works on Rick-time, which is completely different from how the rest of the world works. I remember how long it took for the kitchen and we managed. It would be more difficult to go without a toilet, quite honestly.

So after this long, long tale, I guess I want to know.....what would you want in a new bathroom? What is something that you would really need in a bathroom? Light. More than one receptacle. Light. Heat would be nice or I'm going to be freezing more than nubbins off come winter! Organization. Storage space. Light. (I really do have a thing about light.)

What am I missing?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you a person with a lot of medications, makeup, skincare supplies, hair products, etc.? Cabinet space might be veeery important.

I didn't even know that bathroom floors could be heated! It sounds like you've had a lot of house renovations going on. I should ask you for advice, LOL...we might get started on some of those soon.

Do you want a fancy toilet (bidet)?

I haven't had a proper bath since I was short enough to soak in an average size tub; I'd LOVE a tub...I have a walk-in shower now, with a door, and I'm constantly banging my elbows on it, trying to scrub away soap residue, etc. Damn that door.

His & her vanities sound lovely. I'd personally want an open shelf underneath mine, rather than a cabinet, that I could set a pair of fluffy bunny slippers on, some lotion, etc.

I would be loathe to get rid of a big closet. Very few things more valuable to me in a house than adequate storage space :lol:

A full-length mirror would be nice.

I also want dove gray cabinetry!! I have a beautiful grayish-purple color picked out, and I'd going to paint a gold honeycomb pattern over it, from the bottom of the wall going up, that slowly becomes further spaced apart, and lighter, as it goes up.

Your house renovations make me happy.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's wonderful news!!! :clap: very exciting!

something that might be worth considering is a heated towel rack. that's on my list for my bathroom, if/when it gets remodeled. i'm also thinking of having a 'mini split' put in in the downstairs bedroom, which is the room just down the hall from my bathroom. that mini split would give enough both heat and cooling, depending on the season, to keep my bathroom comfortable -- i couldn't have air, cool or warm, blowing at me while i was in the shower.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since I'm hoping to gut and redo my bathroom in the next year or so, this thread caught my eye. I feel for you going without a toilet, and can't imagine how you will survive. My house has a bathroom in the basement, so that won't be an issue for me.

All the things on your wishlist sound good. One thing you might want to consider is having only a shower. I've read that families with children usually want bathtubs, so having a shower only could have an effect on future resales.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing updates once things get started. :)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I love the stories of remodeling. I want a HUGE walk in shower. no shower curtain but a door because I hate water leaks and what it does to the subfloor-watched enough remodel shows-what a headache. I wish our bathroom was larger but the bedrooms are already small.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We remodeled the front bathroom a little over 3 years ago; needed to because the floor was rotting out and piping behind the shower leaking. The bathtub door is a large clear glass and fairly unobtrusive. The bathtub itself is supposedly non-slip but that is a lie. Its an older house and smaller bathroom so space is an issue. We put a small cabinet over the toilet for toilet paper and medicines. I think its been repainted three times since then because my Mom can't decide how she likes it best but it stays in the general browns, blues and cream color scheme of the tile.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish that i had shelves in the shower that are built into the wall and unobtrusive. I have so many bottles and things that need to be in the shower-bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, facial cleanser, face scrub sponges, loofah, razor, shaving cream...I had to get a shower caddy to hang around my shower head bit I think it looks so tacky.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish that i had shelves in the shower that are built into the wall and unobtrusive. I have so many bottles and things that need to be in the shower-bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, facial cleanser, face scrub sponges, loofah, razor, shaving cream...I had to get a shower caddy to hang around my shower head bit I think it looks so tacky.
We have small corner shelves made out of the same materials as the counter top. Just little triangles really. Big enough for two bottles of shampoo each. The bottom one is about shoulder level and the next one up is above my head so they are unobtrusive.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I might go for a built-in seat in the shower. It makes things easier when you get older (and that is going to sneak up on you). It also makes it easier to shave your legs if you do that in the shower. And make the shower head hand-held. You'd be surprised at how convenient that is. It also makes cleaning the shower easier. And a bit of advice from someone who's unsteady, think about molded-in grab rails in the shower for safety. And places to put grab bars by the toilet and just outside the shower. You don't need them now, but I can guarantee the time will come when you'll be glad to have them. We have one that doubles as a towel rack. We keep enough of it clear to be used getting and out of the tub/shower. Also consider the shape of the toilet. Elongated shapes are made for skinny fannies, while the more rounded ones fit us wide bodies much better. Get reviews on the toilet you buy, too. Those that claim to swallow golf balls (who puts those in a toilet anyway?) may choke on sausages.

I can promise you, having used one several times, that a heated floor will NOT keep the room warm. To do that the floor would have to be hot enough to burn your feet. You can put in a double light fixture and make one of them a heat lamp as we do.

You might consider an exhaust fan, too. It cuts down on moisture and gets odors out quickly.

I know you don't wear makeup but good lighting around the mirror is nice. It can be tacky but it can also be well-done.

As for the enclosed litter box, I think the odor will eventually permeate the space and you'll have a permanent stink there. On the other hand, I've never used a covered box because I've heard most cats don't like them, so what do I know?

You absolutely MUST install a Kohler Numi toilet. No bathroom renovation would be complete without one. It's built for those who are flush. To learn about this little gem, go to

Kohler’s Numi Is Everything One Wants in a Toilet, and a Lot More

With that, I'm going to close the lid on my post.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My in-laws house came with a bathtub that was raised up a step. They had that taken out and put a tub sized shower in instead. It's huge! But it was a big blessing when DH's Grandmother came to live with them after breaking her hip. Actually she might have been the reason they had it done. They knew she'd come to live with them at some point.

I agree a seat is a good thing to have. Also a hand-held shower head with lower options to hold it. We have one and we bought the holder separate. It hooks by suction and it's such a life saver when the kids are showering.

Our bathroom space is kind of small but it work for just DH and I. I have a small "dressing room" with my sink and mirror and a very small linen closet. If I fold my towels in thirds I can put them 2 wide in there. The actual bathroom has a sink/cabinet, the toilet (the house came with elongated seats; which is nice for everything except potty training. But even your grandkids are past that right? :lol: ), and the tub/shower. The tub isn't good for soaking but it gets the job done for everything else. We got one of those bow shaped curtain rods so it feels a little roomier in the shower; even though it's pretty narrow actually.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
as far as an exhaust fan-here it's required if there's no windows. I highly recommend the fan. It helps cut down on mold and mildew. We have a hand held shower head. I couldn't live without it. Makes cleaning easier. I like the idea of corner shelves because I have so many bottle of shampoo and conditioner etc...it looks awful but theres no where else to store them.