We're facing Panleukopenia.... :(

crystalluvscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont know where i am supposed to reply at .. o i send in quote or reply?

OK , Mom cat was a stray who hung around since bout a year. and she got pregnant being out there as strays do. And i would see her come to front door and meow and she would go un back my house. lay down and open he legs and start pushing . almost like she was calling me to see. but she didnt want me too close. next day some thing . after 3 days i got her inside and tried to do the best i could and help her. day for comes i decided ok your going to VET if u dont pass these! thats when i noticed she had a huge compacted bowel build up and thats what was blocking the babies all the time. so i help her maneuver them babies out cause omg 4 days of pushing?! soon as i knew it wasnt a big baby issue i started doing things i don't even know to get them babies out and mom poor thing didnt mind at that point .. 6 babies r born. one born dead.. next day i see she can not possibly pass this huge mass of bowel so brought to vet, they cleaned her put her on antibiotics kept her 4 days to observe to make sure she could pass a bowel and brought her home. Right back "Indoors". she went to tend to babies i didnt find she had any milk.. asked vet he said oh yeah she is probly full bout now let her feed.. she had no milk or so little u couldnt find it. babies did suckle and i continued bottle feeding as i was while she was gone. i figured suckling on mom was best and i made sure i fed them too. another one dies.  Almost a week after another so i am done at this point. get rescue to take babies so i can tend to mom cat cause she still not making bowel movement. put on Miralax. worked so great. Dummy me thinking ok she should be normal again by now stopped two  days and BAM even worse compaction .. i call rescue for her cause she obviously needs more extensive care that i can not give her. and its been over two weeks their all gone and got news another two babies died one left and vet says cause of death is this here.. And Mom cat still suffering constipation  and rectum issues from pushing so many days it caused her rectum to push out . the day i  joined this sight was the 6th of april.. she gave birth bout  a week prior to that. thats 5 weeks! i dont think its possible to have this and still not be sick or dieing  , I wouldnt think anyway.. something isnt right. i have a few cats that were unvac and brought the youngest get vac n chipped n fixed 2 weeks ago when mom left n i had the time. still two other my cats yet to get vac yet so all these unvac cats including the mom cat is still alive and healthy well besides her constipation thingy.. its gotta be something else. i hate saying a vet wrong but that virus couldnt possibly been here in my home exposed to all these unvac animals n not one fall sick yet?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you please call the rescue who took them and mom, and ask if the vet did a parvo test to confirm panleuk or if he guessed?

If he did not test and guessed, I would def say he is wrong, and these babies died from lack of food.

If mom didn't have milk to feed them, but you were feeding them some, they would have needed to be fed every 2 hours, and take in at least 28-30 mls per day each. That is a struggle to do with a dropper or a syringe, and they fight it.

So to me, they died due to lack of enough food from the start, they might have gotten just enough to keep them alive for a bit, but eventually it catches up to them and they can't survive.

Panleuk in kittens is fast, these kittens sound too young for it to be panleuk, mainly because they have very strong maternal protection when newly born.

crystalluvscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
K I just sent a message n asked if test was done.. this is the message I got .. it doesnt say it was.. 

I'm saddened to tell you the little girl and one of the boys died. The girl on Friday and the boy yesterday. The vet determined Panleukopenia to be the cause. The other boy is doing good and not showing any signs of illness at all. I'll keep you posted on him. I'm doing all I can to prevent the spread and care for him.

crystalluvscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Only 2 or 3 isnt related to them out of all these. every other one they suffered from. i know cause i had them first 3 weeks and this is more logical to me.

What are the causes of fading kitten syndrome?

There are many possible causes of fading syndrome which can be infectious or non-infectious. Some of which include:

Non infectious:
  • Congenital defect. Cleft palate, flat chest, umbilical hernia and other abnormalities.
  • Environmental temperature too hot or too cold (hyperthermia/hypothermia). Especially in the first week because newborn kittens are unable to regulate body temperature by panting or shivering.
  • Maternal neglect. This could be due to the mother being nervous, inexperienced or sick.
  • Prematurity and or low birth weight. If just one kitten is undersized, then placental insufficiency is the likely cause, if the entire litter are undersized, a poorly nourished queen is a likely consideration. [1]
  • Traumatic/difficult birth.
  • Environmental toxins.
  • Dehydration  (vomiting  or lack of milk can all lead to dehydration).
  • Neonatal isoerythrolysis (blood type incompatibility).
  • Large litters with not enough nipples for the number of kittens.
  • Inability of a smaller kitten to compete with other kittens
  • Inadequate nutrition to the queen during pregnancy or after birth.
- See more at: http://www.cat-world.com.au/fading-kitten-syndrome#sthash.IKOsOaQZ.dpuf

crystalluvscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got a response a few minutes ago and the panleuk test was not done on the kitten to determine diagnosis.,  Diagnosis was determined by an exam of one of the two deceased kittens.  

And there one that  is still one alive and seems to be doing well.  and they vaccinated him and will be bringing him to get tested ... .I hope he makes it..  

And  also said that there so many factors  and that they now dont think that came from mom..  Ok.. mentally exhausted but relieved its not Panleuk.. So with that said , were not exposed!

crystalluvscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indeed.. You wouldn't think any one would want to make an assumption, when it comes to something as contagious and deadly as  Panleuk.   It happens I guess, it shouldn't., but it does.. ..  

I am just glad it was a false positive misdiagnosis           and not the other way round yah know!  Thank you for your insight and help very much appreciated..