rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

its a wonder they adopt any cats!

Heck with Cat Protection -

I'd never use them if I lived in England
Please, before you go slamming the cats protection, an organisation that unlike some refuse to put a healthy cat/kitten to sleep unless it's really necessary, i strongly suggest you read up on them first!.

Sadie already has the e-mail that my branch sent to me about her situation but here's a copy of it which Chris said i could show.

Cats Protection Newcastle

Hi Susan,

Unfortunately each branch of CP and RSPCA work to guidelines, but create additional rules themselves, just as we at Newcastle have done. However, remember they are being run, with the exception of Adoption Centres, by volunteers, and our knowledge comes from experience. Not all volunteers have been 'at it' as long as those at our Branch.

We too made many mistakes at the offset, and have learnt the hard way.

Adoption Centres have paid staff, so now you come up against the opposite problem, the staff are trained to guidelines, and don't cater for the individual cat, hence they use rulings that may apply to strays to cover relocated domestic cats.

Its very much a no win situation.

Up here in the North East, we see problems that people down south wouldn't understand, we have the highest cruelty rate, and why? Mainly because we have no shelters and no educational program in operation.

We actively encourage people to retain their cats as housecats, and if they can to do as we have, cover over an area of garden. That way the cats are safe from road accidents and unpleasant neighbours who wouldn't think twice about placing poison down for cats.

This ruling about children under 5 is ridiculous, some kids arent fit to have a cat around at the age of 15 never mind 5, others are fine at the age of 2, so its a mistake to generalise. In fact I did a home visit today in Blyth, and the family had two kids, one aged 3 and one 10, both kids were gentle and listened to what I had to say, so I am sure they will be fine with a cat.

And think about it, how are children going to learn to respect animals if they never live with one, so again, that's a stupid ruling.

It sounds to me as though your friend visited Adoption Centres who simply have a set criteria to follow. She would be better going to a Branch rather than a Centre.

One observation I have is that if a cat has spent a long time as a stray, they often don't want to repeat it. They so often make wonderful house cats, as they don't want to have to hunt, they don't want to have to seek shelter. Ok some will want out, but the Centre should know which ones they think wouldn't adapt.

When a cat comes into us, it has to remain in the pen, it cant go walk about, so we know its going to have to stay put for at least 3 weeks. However, Adoption Centres don't keep them as long as we do, they put them up for adoption within a week or so of them arriving.

Anyway, hope that gives you my side of that argument.

Feel free to post any of this on your website.

Chris

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think it a bit much that just because the cruelty rate is lower down here that I can't have an indoor cat.

They made out that because we can't have a cat flap that it's going to be really hard on the cat not being able to wander in and out as they please. They just didn't get that I don't want them to wander in and out.

I just wanted a young housecat.

I haven't heard back yet from the woman selling her kittens, hoping to soon. I've e-mailed her my phone numbers and best times to phone so fingers-crossed. I should have a new kitty in a few days!!!

Thinking about getting a Ragdoll late next year when money is better....

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

I do think it a bit much that just because the cruelty rate is lower down here that I can't have an indoor cat.
That shocked me knowing that it was higher here because i didn't know that?
Maybe if they had explained it more in depth with you.

What about doing what Chris said about going direct to your local branch like i did than a centre?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just e-mailed her asking. I know my branch consists of fosterers where the cats and kittens are kept in pens at peoples homes, but some branches have properly built shelters similar to the RSPCA where you can just go and visit all the cats.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up on a farm so all cats were outside cats and I think it is nice for cats to be able to go outside but for most people it really isn't possible for them to do so safely. If I had the money I would own a house with a cat flap and a yard enclosed with a cat proof fence but that isn't possible for me. I keep my cats inside and I think it is a far better alternative than roaming outside around traffic.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got Jupey from Cats Protection, a really nice lady came out to check the house, she was only here 10 minutes and didn't ask if we were going to let him out or not. Within the hour we were called by the foster carer to see if we wanted to visit Jupey who was 12 weeks old, we were not told we had to adopt an older cat even though we are on quite a busy road.

I think it's very strange that your CP is going so over the top, this country has been over-run with kittens this summer and theres always young cats needing homes too.

Good luck with your future kitty!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I lived in England for awhile, and though I *did* have cats, I got them from neighbors who were irresponsibly overpopulating the neighborhood with kittens because their queens weren't altered

We did, on the other hand, adopt a dog from the N.A.W.T. and their rules are *significantly* different than the rules are here in the United States. And you know what? I love them *all the more* for it!

I can understand why you're upset about the organizations feelings about you keeping a house cat. I was given the impression when I lived there that most people felt that it was cruel to keep a cat indoors all the time. However, I think that it's working under a false assumption that a cat will be unhappy in a transition from an indoor cat to an outdoor cat.

Reagan is a former feral, and she's adjusting fine. She wants to go outside, but she doesn't. She lives vicariously through the windows. Molly will probably have some similar issues, and DH and I hope that we can eventually get both of them leash trained.

Hopefully something will work out for you. I can understand their point of view (when we adopted our dog in England, she had to have a fenced-in yard and they wanted her to be able to come and go as she pleased, too -- and this is a DOG we're talking about, way out in the countryside!).

I think sometimes organizations like this forget that there are people out there who hate animals, and who will harm them. The roads aside, if you live in the country your animal could get shot by a farmer. If you live in the city, the animal could be hit by a passing car. In either situation, there are animal-haters who might want to poison your animal.

I have two cats who have been indoors for quite some time now, and neither of them is in the least bit obese! Whisper is gaining weight again (he lost a lot when we first moved because he wouldn't go downstairs to eat and we weren't indulging his whims) and Reagan has put on *some* weight but will probably always be little.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a frustrating experience for you
My former feral and my latest two strays all prefer not to go outside anymore, esp. w/ winter coming on

Sending plenty of {{{prayers and vibes}}} that your new cat finds you and Links very soon - I am sure that out there that particular cat really, really needs to find it's new home with you....Calling all cat-guardian angels to direct that cat in your direction