went to the vets today to inquire about osiris

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went with snowballs mommy today to the vet so she could get some special food for her kitty, and while there i asked about what it would cost me to have osiris seen first of all its not all that much 34.50 but since he is not feeling well they may not even give him his first set of shots and iam worried that he may have a mild form of distemper if it is mild. I have seen distemper and i know how awful this disease is but he does not have those kind of symptoms. More than likely It will cost me arround 100.00 to 200.00 to have him tested and i dont have that kind of bread. the receptionist gave me the number for our local humane society that sometimes can help with the funds for vet vists, but all i got was just a telephone ringing they dont stay open very long i guess i missed em. I have been pretty upset and not a real happy person, maybe iam overreacting but i have already lost one kitten to accident i dont want to loose another one :

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
sending you a prayer .. do you have an aspca near??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I have tried them as well but they are all out of funds, He isnt acting sick its just his behavior that has me concerned, I know that he could have gotten this from anywhere and i have a gut feeling it is distemper even though it isnt getting any worse and he is still eating and drinking I feel so helplesss and i love this kitten so much he is like my child and i feel so responsible

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
did you ask about a payment plan for the vet??

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes i did but all they said was to call the ASPCA or the Humane society Iam freaking out even though he isnt acting any worse maybe iam the one who needs a sedative. I am thinking that these vets dont give a damn all they want is the all mighty dollar, Iam sorry to sound so angry but if this was a human child oh you bet they would see it right away

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Iam keeping a close eye on him, there hasnt been any change so i guess that is good. My guy seems to think its just the heat making him act this way but this has been going on for about almost a week, Iam trying my best to get a hold of a vet who will work with me, but that has been impossible and it is very frustrating. Osiris seems to know that iam concerned about him he comes to me with kisses and purrs it would break my heart to loose him he is only a few mos old,

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
and no your not acting any way but how you should

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you sharky your support is very comforting hopefully i will be able to get ahold of a sympathetic person who will understand my situation and i hope to God that its not what i fear, i know it will be expensive but i wont just give up on Osiris hes my baby

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he remains active and even played with me which is a good sign. I am also thinking while he was at my friends house he may have ingested some of snowballs thyroid meds would this cause maybe some of his strange behavior even though i did my best to watch that he did not get into her med, and if so would he have any long lasting effects from this ? Snowball takes 1/2 pills 3 times a day. And if i can get some financial help all of my cats will be seeing the vet this little scare was a wake up call and this will not be repeated again.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
call the nearest er vet... please I nearly lost my Gigi due to her getting a celebrex of my moms

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Osiris is doing ok he is still the same no change, he woke me up this morning with his usual kisses, I at least left a voice mail with the local Humane Society to see about getting some financial assistance so Osi could go see a vet, Iam hopeing that it will not take all day for them to call me back with a answer. I have mangaged to calm down but still anxious to find out what is wrong with OSI. He is still acting very bouncy and playful its just weird to see him act like this. I know that any change in behavior is something to be concerned about and iam trying my best to get him seen asap

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well here is the latest on Osiris the Humane Society returned my call and the woman, who answered was unbelievable she stated that all they help with is animals that are sick and almost dead before they will help. and get this she told me to buy the vaccines at the local CO Op and administer them myself ! I called the vet back and they told me that it was ok for me to give him the vaccines myself, but if Osiris has something it could make him have a reaction and even the vet said that is a valid concern. She also suggested a vet all the way out in Dillard which is too far for me to go who takes payments, I have to just wait and see if i can get the money to take him to the closest vet. I am incensed by the treatment i recieved from the Humane Society how rude this woman was to me, and how she seemed not to give a rip about my animal. Telling me that he needs to get vaccinated I KNOW THAT BUT HE IS HAVING PROBLEMS! On this site you do not reccomend vaccinating yourself Iam even more confused and anxious than before what do i do Now?

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once again on the phone with the vets office, i was told that as long as Osi
was not coughing or sick that it would be ok to administer the vaccines to him should i do this? I trust this site for valid advice and i need to do this as soon as possible. I can afford the vaccines which i will aquire soon.

notme1295

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone tell me where you can buy a vaccine, and which ones ? Can people administer all needed vaccines themselves? What are the drawbacks of this? I have found a vet that will do vaccines for just $10/each (not including rabies but including worming) with no office visit, which isn't bad. But why do this instead of just doing it at home, since a vet is not seeing them anyway? Does it satisfy regulations for rabies shots, etc, and how can someone get the rabies certification token/papers if they do it at home? Just curious.

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rabies can only be administered by a vet, and usually when it is done by a vet you get the papers and a tag for your cat at the time, and when it comes to the other vaccines my vet suggested a feline 3 way our local co op carries them here, and they are not expensive

notme1295

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you saying that the danger is not following directions and doing them wrong? That is what the link suggested, that the pets who had problems weren't given the vaccinations correctly.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The danger is also the various types of vaccine.
Live vs Dead etc.

"Dr. Richard Ford, North Carolina State University Veterinarian: When you purchase a vaccine through a catalog, you don't know who made it. You don't know how it's been handled. "

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why would my vet then say it is ok to give them myself?