Wellness up to 3$/can!!!!!!! ACK!

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maxiecat03

I didn't know that Bark and Fitz sold cat food. I thought it was just a dog store. We have one here.

The cat food Wellness is $3.19 (12.5oz) here as well...at a pet store...Critter Jungle. I must check out the price at Pet Valu...but I don't find their prices to be any lower, even though they say that they are a discount store

Even the cheapest dry cat food (that I put in the garage for assorted animals) has jumped from $8 for 8kg, 2 yrs ago, to nearly $11 this year already. Might have to stop feeded the 'wanderers' although I know that some of them are outside an awful lot.

And...our lovely prov gov't has given us HST (without a vote) so now all our utilities will jump by 8%.....guess some of us aren't part of a recession!!
The one i go to does, mind you not as much as dog but still some. Wondering about EVO do they make a cat wet? sorry... as i said the majority of cats here are grocery stores wet eaters...

anyhow, i got a tin of evo wet for the dogs and it was less than the wellness?

i think all food prices have climbed, fancy feast is now about 70cents blah... i would prefer to be in denial about the combined taxes at the moment
lol

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

Wondering about EVO do they make a cat wet?
They do. At my pet food store, it costs ~ 2/3 as much as the Wellness. Unfortunately, Promise won't eat it or I would be feeding it to my cats fairly frequently.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought a couple cans of Wellness Core 5.5 oz can for my
cat to try. She like it alot and she very very active.
Cant believe the difference.
The cost was 1.58 per can. I guess I better run over to
Pet Supplies this weekend and buy a stock before the price goes up.
I can not afford to feed daily but I can feed a can or two each week
in the mix.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This thread made me curious, so I did some checking. Almost exactly a year ago, I bought a case of 24 5.5-oz cans of a premium brand (not Wellness - I feed my cats Wellness dry, but not canned). Today that case purchased from the same retailer costs 26% more. I knew it had gone up, but I didn't realize how much.

I don't know a lot about the pet food industry - it's certainly possible that suppliers have raised their prices - but that's a big increase for only a year.

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have been feeding my cats only canned food since january to help frodo lose weight and we were feeding one large can of wellness a day between the two of them. i think that the price went up 2 times since january! i always thought that evo would be a much higher price since imo it is a higher quality but it is actually much cheaper - almost $1/large can cheaper. my cats did not like the plain evo cat and kitten formula which is $2.05/large can but they do really like the 95% meat chicken and turkey one. they also like the 95% beef, but not the 95% venison. the chicken and turkey and the beef are the same price as the plain cat and kitten formula - $2.05 - but the other formulas, rabbit, venison, and duck are much more pricey, but i think that the most expensive one is still either a little more or a little less than the price of wellness now.

i have a global here but no petsmart so i thought that global was my only option, but it turns out that my vet sells evo and there is a local store who also sells it. sometimes looking around will be profitable! my global does not sell evo. when i was at the local store the other day they had a paper posted next to the wellness saying that the company was bought by the company that owns eagle pack and they they keep raising the price due to the "weak canadian dollar" but the store said that it is greed and to send your letters to...they have the address listed.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Raw food is actually gonna come out cheaper, and it's A LOT better for your cat.
raw food.... hmmmmm. If only man had mastered the art of fire..... oh wait we did.

Seriously though, without derailing this thread, I have to imagine that the risk of parasites or bacteria outweighs whatever possible nutritional benefits can be derived from raw food.

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

raw food.... hmmmmm. If only man had mastered the art of fire..... oh wait we did.

Seriously though, without derailing this thread, I have to imagine that the risk of parasites or bacteria outweighs whatever possible nutritional benefits can be derived from raw food.
i don't know about that! my dog has been eating raw now since december and has not been healthier. i would be feeding my cats and ferrets raw too if they would eat it. unfortunately, they won't. and i have worked it out, raw would be much cheaper for me.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

IMO raw food is the best for my pets. There's tons on info on raw feeding, the benefits and myths online.
Here is just one myths link
http://www.professorshouse.com/pets/...w-feeding.aspx

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Anything we feed our pets has a chance to make them sick. How many recalls have there been for commercial pet food? Just type in pet food recalls on the internet and you will find tons. Way too many to name. So yes - we do take a risk as well feeding commercial pet food. And in my opinion raw is much more closer to a carnivores diet then what is made in a tin and especially much healthier than little nuggets.

I feed one of my two cats an all raw diet and I can tell you the expense is no where near the cost of commercial pet food. It is more than half the cost. I feed my other cat Wellness grainfree and EVO 95% meat. The prices have skyrocketed.

Does anybody know where we can write and complain about all of the price increases? But then again the cost of everything has skyrocketed especially meat and veggies. So I don't know if our complaining will do anything?
How frustrating....

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if the price of the base foods has gone up at the wholesale level, we can certainly expect price increases at retail - actually, I'd be more worried if pet food prices took a nosedive, because I'd start wondering how they managed that.

Re raw, for those it works for, great. But, I wonder if you factor in the time and expertise, both your own and getting that of a vet or other certified dietician to make sure your formula is right, if it's really all that much less expensive. I'm still in the camp that whatever your cat can thrive on, is a good thing. And I don't blame vets for not usually being on board with raw diets for most pet owners - considering the need for absolutely correct formulations of necessary vitamins, minerals, etc., plus sanitary prep - for every owner that would do it correctly, there could be a pretty big number that would miss a step, or leave out a needed ingredient (like taurine) because they didn't have it handy that week, etc.

I read one author's comment that raw food diet attempts are 'do, or not do - there is no try'. When you've seen the results of diets missing necessary components, well, Friskies starts looking pretty good in comparison.

Again, there are some owners who do well in preparing raw diets - but it may not be as easy for those with more time constraints to accomplish, even if the level of care and love for the pets is the same.