Wellness canned is POOR nutrition?????

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I emailed him, and he replied with this:

" I expect they will follow the same pattern that Natural Balance did. When companies start selling to very large retailers, the volume they need to produce increases significantly, putting more pressure on quality control, especially when they do not manufacture their own food. In addition, large retailers in all industries (Home Depot, Wallmart, Petco, etc) put pressure on suppliers to reduce costs. Since the companies are now dependent on high volumes, they often reduce cost by reducing quality. Natural Balance reduced their quality by reducing the amount of meat in the kibble. For instance, what used to be "Duck & Potato" turned into "Potato & Duck". Since dogs are carnivores, decreasing the amount of meat in their food is a significant reduction in the quality of food. Natural Balance also got caught last year putting rice protein concentrate in their food, WITHOUT LISTING IT ON THEIR LABEL. They were caught because the rice protein became contaminated and they had to recall their venison kibble and all their canned food in April 2007. Since we had already discontinued the other poor quality foods, when I bought the store, Natural Balance was the only brand in this store that was recalled. We lost confidence with Natural Balance and their lack of quality & information, so we discontinued them right away.

Since there are plenty of excellent foods available, there is no need to stock a brand we have little or no confidence in, so we dropped Wellness. "

sablemerle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My elderly mom has a megacolon cat, and after much trial and error with various foods, he's done well on the grain-free, canned Wellness.

Their parent company (Old Mother Hubbard) is located about 45 minutes from me, and I have to say that up to now, they have been very responsive to consumer concerns. Mom orders large cans from a local pet supply outlet to help keep the cost down, and once we came upon a batch that was much soupier than usual. Wellness sent replacements to our pet store within 24 hours. They also send my mom coupons every month, which helps defray the expense.

I know that other companies have tried to expand too fast and sacrificed quality in the process. I'd really hate to think that we're going to have to go all the way back to square one to find a food that will help keep Jesse from blocking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the Wellness thing straightened out. A different guy checked me out at the same store this time and I told him that the last guy told me the cat canned Wellness was not complete nutrition. He assured me that it was and mentioned that some of the dog foods are only 95% meats and are just toppers.

Hooray!

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you got it straightened out about dry verses wet. The ingrediants listed on the food he suggested are not good at all. We have a couple of holistic pet food stores here that I deal with and there are a lot of changes going on in the pet food industry. I have cats with issues so the owner keeps me informed of changes so I don't get in trouble. Selling to big stores usually means lower quality because they sell cheaper. Some of the changes I have learned about are: Felidae/Canidae: Lamb is hard to get, changing formulas and the company they use for processing (Diamond?) At least they are announcing it on website. California Natural: Changed the formula by order of proteins on label and added white rice, no announcement. Texture, smell different enough that mine won't touch it. (Ocean Fish) Nature's Variety Instinct: Having trouble with dry crumbling in bag (trying to change it). Change is hard on a lot of our cats and what gets me is when they change and don't let people know so they can prepare. It usually takes me weeks to make a change with my two. Good job not letting the guy buffalo you.