Well...we did it...

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like to introduce the newest addition to our family:

Wendel.

Despite DH and I swearing that we were going to get a 'normal' cat this time, this big, grumbly guy squished his way into both of our hearts. His ears look like he's lost a few fights in his time and the backs have bald patches where old ulcerous wounds healed but no fur has grown back. He also has a kink at the base of his tail and doesn't really like it to be touched. He's quite loving, but has a fear of people reaching for him so will occasionally growl and jump away from you, but then come right back.

Right now we're just trying to be quiet and approachable for him and letting him come to us. If you sit on the floor with him, he'll walk around you in circles rubbing against you and purring. We're hoping that he'll get past his fear once he settles in. so far, he and Sybil have batted each other's paws under the door and Freya's given him the standard hiss through the door. He's really interested in getting out of his room to meet the girls.

So, another slightly busted kitty for us...wish us luck.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's quite the handsome fella! Looks like he's got some chubby cheeks, too. Bless you for adopting him and bringing him into your home. Look forward to updates on his progress and lots more pics!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you adopted this handsome fella. I have a soft spot for orange tabby's as my heart kitty who is now at the bridge, Tavia, was an orange tabby but had a lot of white on her as well. I think once he knows he doesn't have to worry about someone being mean to him he will be okay. And will be a very loving little man.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww, hun, he is PURRRFECT!
Hey now, sometimes it's those "busted up" kitties who need us the most AND who are the most loving and thankful.
He's just adorable.
Reminds me of my Osiris!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, he's still handsome, even with the battle scars. I hope you will keep us updated on his progress!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Awwww, hun, he is PURRRFECT!
Hey now, sometimes it's those "busted up" kitties who need us the most AND who are the most loving and thankful.
He's just adorable.
Reminds me of my Osiris!
Very well put... He is handsome...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a handsome boy! Love his chubby cheeks!

He just needs some love and a safe place to call his own. He will thrive under your care and I'm sure he will be a real lovey soon enough!

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your newest addition. Wendel is a very handsome boy. It's easy to see how he managed to pull at your heartstrings. What a fella!

To me, there's no such thing as a "busted up" kitty. Just like their human counterparts, cats and other pets have imperfections. And, it's those imperfections that make us all uniquely us. How boring would a world be with cookie-cutter humans and perfect kitties?! Besides, often the "wounded" are the best healers. And, just looking in Wendel's eyes, it's clear as day that he has a strong, loving heart. I think it's quite obvious that Cotton has had a hand in this match -- it's my suspicion that Wendel will help you heal after losing precious Cotton. And, in turn, I've no doubt that you and yours will help heal Wendel's wounds (and not necessarily the physical ones, mind you) as well.

Wendel is a very special boy indeed. Many vibes heading your way that he settles in well...on all levels.... Congratulations again. He's the perfect "busted up" addition to your family!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful Red Boy!

He couldn't have landed in a better forever home. Congratulations to all of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone.

Just a quick update: Wendel had a good night. He wasn't terribly happy for the first hour or so after the lights went off, but he was fostered in a large group so I don't think he was used to being alone and not being able to get to the other cats. Of course, then the furnace came on and he curled up next to the grate and was happy as a clam.

This morning he came out to see me when I went to check on him and crawled into my lap for loves. No growls or startles.

Freya and Sybil are completely unfazed so far. They occasionally stick a paw under the door, but otherwise go about their days.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MysteryCat

What a cute BIG boy!
He's HUGE!

When we brought our carrier to get him, we were worried he wouldn't fit and it's a standard carrier. Cotton used to fit in it and he weighed 14 lbs. Wendel is a ton of bricks, and it's not that he's terribly chubby, he's just big.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's a, brickhoooooouse
Wendel is very handsome! Sounds like he is already happy to be home

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a handsome man!
Congratulations on your new addition, it sounds like he's settling in pretty well already.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Just a bit of a cute update.

Mike was quite sick last night (his own fault. And the reason he doesn't usually get extra snacks for the Grey Cup) and the cats were naturally quite worried about him...including Wendal who sat in his room yowling. After Mike had gone back to bed and we calmed down Freya and Sybil, I went to sit with Wendel for a bit to get him to stop crying. So I'm sitting on the floor in my PJs at 2:30am with this giant orange cat rolling all over my lap and purring and grunting at me while I pet him...well I must have fallen asleep sitting up, because the next thing I know he's behind me with one paw braced on my back and tapping me on the shoulder with the other. When I told him I was okay he lumbered back into my lap and gave me a kiss on the nose before wandering back over to his food bowl with a look that told me he was okay now.

yeah...he gave me a kiss and sent me to bed.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! I have an orange tabby male too and, in my experience, they are lovers! Sounds like he's settling in well. Thanks for giving him a wonderful home.