Well, the power's out

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an ordeal! I'm so sorry this is happening. Losing power is the disaster most likely to happen where I live. It is the main reason that I have sturdy carriers for all my cats. And a duffle bag packed with food, water, bowls, litter, and small litter pans - to last for several days. In winter here it can get well below zero and I have no heat other than the gas furnace that has to have electricity to run. It's scary. If power was off for a few hours in that weather, we'd all have to leave and seek heat.

As far as keeping the cats warm when the temperatures inside are in the 20's, both people and animals do fine in down comforters or sleeping bags. I've been camping in winter, outside in such temps, and was comfortable in a down sleeping bag. My cats will get under comforters or blankets if they get cold. Down parkas would also work for cats.

Good luck to all of you. I hope this passes soon.

Robin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kristinlowman

I live in CT and we lost power Saturday as well. We are not projected to get it back for 7-10 days!
We'll probably be staying with my father-in-law as he has a generator and we have two small kids (ages 3 and 5 months) that we need to worry about keeping warm. But I am also worried about my 4 cats of course. Luckily, as you already noted, temps will be rising. We will of course be stopping in to check in on them and feed them etc., but do I need to worry about them being too cold? Anything I can do to make them more comfortable? Good luck to others in the same boat!
Aw, I'm sorry you can't take them with you. I'd use Robin's suggestion, and leave things out for them to snuggle into. They'll need more calories to help them stay warm, just take that into consideration too.

And yeah - we were out taking care of errands earlier, and from what we're hearing, we'll be lucky if power's back on Friday.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
One of my GFs lives in Connecticut and she's still without power. They're cold and I'm glad the temps are rising for her sake. And both of her kitties are Old Ladies now and they really mind the cold.

Still sending for everybody without power. kristinlowman, good luck with your children, too.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Wow, what a storm. American weather can be so volatile - scary stuff.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The storm knocked out my power and heat, too. The last few days have been interesting, to say the the least!

Just got power back about an hour ago, but sadly, the internet and cable TV are still out. Maybe tomorrow.

Stay warm, all!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I lost power Saturday night.  It came back Sunday about noon, stayed on about five minutes, then went out again.  I am on the third floor and can't do stairs so I was trapped. 

About an hour after it went out the second time I got out the down blanket for the bed and bundled up and read.  Fortunately it came back on about 5:30 and stayed on.  I am lucky because there are some who still do not have power.  My cleaning help comes on Thursday.  She says that if the power is not on at her house by then she will shower after she cleans. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear some are getting their power back! :clap:

We're still without power. We do have water, they hooked up a generator to the well pump. :bigthumb: (They shut it off at night, but we have it when we need it!!!!).

We run the generator a bit each morning and afternoon to charge everything back up. The main problem at this point is that without the cell booster, reception sucks. Still can't talk on the cellphones from home, and internet surfing can be "no service" or very slow.

They're still saying we'll have power back Friday. :rolleyes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Laurie
 I really was hoping to hear that they got it fixed earlier than end of week.
  Sounds like you guys are handling this well, in your usual style
.  I am still sending "power-up" vibes for TODAY to be the day FINGERS CROSSED (couldn't find the :finger's crossed" in the list ARGH - frustrating that we can't just type in the smiley :(