Well, that was embarrassing....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I left the dentist's office this morning, I was thinking of all kinds of things and wasn't paying attention. Got to the car and hit the "unlock" button. The car didn't unlock and I thought, "Now I know I locked this car". But the door opened, so I got in and sat down in the driver's seat. My tote and my sports bag were gone from the front seat. 

"OMG, now what do I do? My stuff was taken!" I sat there for a couple seconds, just looking. Something just wasn't right.

"Wait....this doesn't look like my car." Turned around to look in the back seat. It was really messy and there was a sports team pillow back there. "What the....? I'M IN THE WRONG CAR!" 
 There I was, sitting in a red Toyota Rav 4. The problem was that my car? Is a red Hyundai Tucson!

And I hopped out quickly and scurried over to my car, praying that the car owner didn't see me. Hit my "unlock" button and ...... whew! the car unlocked. Got in and drove away. Fast. Oops. 

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3::lol3::lol3: I did something worse one time. I came out of the supermarket, got in "our" car and drove about a block and a half before realizing it wasn't our car. Drove back to find a man standing beside our car. Our keys fit both cars (white Golfs).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once I came out of a fast food place, got into my car and right away realized it wasn't mine! (messy and full of tools) Mine was sitting on the other side and looked just like it! The man was already running out of the place after me, I had to explain, and showed him my car, your'e right, how embarrassing! 

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago my late mother and my uncle went somewhere in his car. She was supposed to meet him after they finished their errands. She got in "a car", sat a while and suddenly my uncle found her and told her she was in the wrong car.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I almost did similar this past weekend! My sister, mom and nieces and I were in PA. It was dark and pouring rain, and my sister needed to get something from the drug store. I went in with her while my mom stayed with my nieces. On the way back to the car, I tried opening a car door, when I looked up, I saw a strange woman inside. It was dark and rainy, i wasn't paying attention to the car, my sister was parked behind her's! Oops!

wolvesandbears

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vice versa happened with my aunt - she went back to her car after doing groceries, and noticed this elderly lady putting her own bags in the opened trunk. Puzzled and alarmed, she went up and gently asked what she was doing. The lady suddenly was embarassed and realized she was at the wrong car! her own car was two spots away, an identical model. They both at a bit of  a laugh at the end lol my aunt would help her take out all her bags out of her own car to place them in the other one...the poor lady was still really embarassed though!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not as bad as any of those, but I can't tell you how many times my BF has gone over to the wrong car thinking it's mine.  It's gotten to a point where I don't even tell him he's approaching the wrong car anymore.  I like to watch his confused face as he tries to get into them, wondering why I haven't unlocked it remotely for him :D  You would think after having this car for nearly 5 years he would recognize it already - or, at least the plates.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
These are all pretty funny! :lol3: I've tried to get in the wrong car before, with the owner nearby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I did something worse one time. I came out of the supermarket, got in "our" car and drove about a block and a half before realizing it wasn't our car. Drove back to find a man standing beside our car. Our keys fit both cars (white Golfs).
That happened to my ex-SIL. She had a Plymouth Neon at the time. Came out of the mall, opened the trunk to the car to put her packages in, got in the car and turned the ignition. Then she realized that the car was really, really clean inside. And wondered how her car got so clean so suddenly. Then the man appeared, knocked on the window and said, "What the **** are you doing in my car?" She was mortified. Got out and looked around. Her car was three cars farther down in the same parking aisle. She profusely apologized to the guy and, when he realized what happened, he did calm down.

But what are the odds that two cars with the same key would be within the same small space? 

When I drive Clarence, I don't have this problem! Although there are a lot of Cruisers around town, there are few red ones anymore. I can spot Clarence a mile away in a parking lot.

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  It could be worse!  You could have actually called the police to report a break-in and theft of your stuff, only to then find out you were the one who was doing the breaking in! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

It could be worse!  You could have actually called the police to report a break-in and theft of your stuff, only to then find out you were the one who was doing the breaking in!