Well, it made the local paper-John and Amber, article about fake internet deaths

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I don't know about you but I have enough real drama to not have time to make some up..

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. It is really sad that there are people like that out there though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say, for clarification, that I didn't post it to get it stirred up again
, just thought you might like to see the story...

And yes, I did appreciate how TCS was spoken about in it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Well... that was interesting but I do know for a FACT that there was an Amber but NO real John. And from the pictures of that baby, the exif data showed that they were taken in April of 2002... so... definatly NOT the "baby". I've written it off long ago now as an immature teenager who was longing for someone to love her and want a family like her sisters (AOL prrof) who all have children and she doens't have any of that. I think she is just really messed in the head for all of it! IMO.
I'm with you on that Jill...maybe its a MI culture thing.

Anyways, yea, sorry but I don't wonder anymore. I also wrote it off as someone that was looking for attention that she probably wasn't getting at home.

She should go into creative writing IMO though. I hate seeing talent like that go to waste. Someone that was able to create 2 believable characters like that should definitely look into character writing (movies, television, etc).

Thanks for sharing the article!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Although Anne would be the better person to post about this, as part of the Mod Squad I wanted to let you all know how this was handled behind the scenes. Anne was contacted by the reporter expressing an interest in highlighting the John and Amber story for an article on faked internet deaths. After verifying that he was a legitimate reporter, Anne communicated with him via email about how she viewed what happened. Obviously you can tell from the article that she didn't make any conclusions about what was real or fake because there wasn't (and isn't) hard and fast proof that it was or wasn't a hoax. Obviously he had access to all of the public threads on the topic and by Amber and John, so there was a lot of information that he had and chose not to use, i.e. that people had spoken via phone with "Amber", the photos posted, etc. For a newspaper article, he couldn't have possibly included everything...this could be a novel!

One thing that I do want to make sure that you all know is that Anne/we did not disclose anything that was told to us (any of us on staff) via private correspondence. We also did not give out any contact information for anyone on the site, including John/Amber. Privacy concern are and were in the forefront of our minds.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I'm with you on that Jill...maybe its a MI culture thing.

Anyways, yea, sorry but I don't wonder anymore. I also wrote it off as someone that was looking for attention that she probably wasn't getting at home.

She should go into creative writing IMO though. I hate seeing talent like that go to waste. Someone that was able to create 2 believable characters like that should definitely look into character writing (movies, television, etc).

Thanks for sharing the article!
Us Michiganders are so hard-nosed huh?!!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had no idea this was going on. I remember some of these posts. How wierd that someone would go to this much trouble. Some of it had to be true. At least the day to day stuff.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting the link-its was an interesting and well written article.
I had filled my mom in and she read it too and couldn't believe someone would do this!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Although Anne would be the better person to post about this, as part of the Mod Squad I wanted to let you all know how this was handled behind the scenes. Anne was contacted by the reporter expressing an interest in highlighting the John and Amber story for an article on faked internet deaths. After verifying that he was a legitimate reporter, Anne communicated with him via email about how she viewed what happened. Obviously you can tell from the article that she didn't make any conclusions about what was real or fake because there wasn't (and isn't) hard and fast proof that it was or wasn't a hoax. Obviously he had access to all of the public threads on the topic and by Amber and John, so there was a lot of information that he had and chose not to use, i.e. that people had spoken via phone with "Amber", the photos posted, etc. For a newspaper article, he couldn't have possibly included everything...this could be a novel!

One thing that I do want to make sure that you all know is that Anne/we did not disclose anything that was told to us (any of us on staff) via private correspondence. We also did not give out any contact information for anyone on the site, including John/Amber. Privacy concern are and were in the forefront of our minds.
Thanks Heidi. We do appreciate everything the mods did to verify this behind the scenes, and I thought it was all handled well.

It's definitely good to get this sort of story out there for people to read about and understand so they too can be more vigilant about this sort of thing.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite the interesting read. I think they described TCS quite well.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this. We still don't know the truth, do we, nor will we ever probably. If this was all faked, I feel terribly sorry for whoever it was that had such a sad life that they felt they had to do something like this. That to me is the real tragedy in all of this. If it was fake, then John/Amber or whoever it is needs help, fast!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like to second, what Heidi wrote.

In addition, I'd like to add that we are glad that this is such a caring community but, one should look at anything posted on the Internet with a cautious eye.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I do want to say that Anne and the mods handled everything well. They just told us that they could not get verification, cautioned us to be careful and left the judgment with us.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this article - It is good to know that others can learn from the potential mistakes of others.

I think most of these people are just crying for attention and help and this is a good way to get it.

Thanks to Anne and the Mods for handling this situation behind the scenes - You guys are great

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I moderate an another forum, and I understand how hard it can be to deal with this type of thing when it explodes all over your board.
I wasn't here when it happened, but from what I read today in this thread, I applaud the moderators here and also the caliber of posters for handling this in a mature and responsible way.

(That's why I like you all so much hee!)

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is a great thing that Anne did to let others know that this sort of thing is happeneing. I think it was an informative article and will let people know not to take people for granted. And not to allow yourself to get taken like some of us were it's good to have compassion for someone but to stand back and take things on their own merit.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband and I met some people through an online game we played for a while. The lady couldn't lie to us, because we also knew her husband, but she was a sympathy addict. We found out all these things that she would tell other people, met through the same game. She would say she was in a wheelchair, that she was going through a tough divorce.... those are just the ones we found out about. Her husband found out and while embarrassed didn't really know what to do about it. A couple of the people she lied to took it pretty hard when they found out the truth. We don't have any contact with her anymore, so she is probably still doing it.

Some people have these weird needs and the internet is the perfect way to satisfy them. It's sad, but it does happen.

sweetiecat3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thats interesting- I wish we all knew the real truth tho.
I know!
I wonder if anyone is investigating it?