Well it finally happened. Decided to adopt the stray I have been looking after for 3 months.

mces97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Saw her a few times last year, then in February she came around more, and had kittens. She's been around my house ever since. Tricked her into going into the carrying cage by putting some food in it. The vet tested her for felv, and I believe the same test checks for fiv as well. Both negative, and a very good thing since I already have two 9 year old cats that are strictly indoors. She will be getting her vaccinations, spayed, and a wound cleaning that has to be drained tomorrow. Hopefully she will make the transition to being an indoor cat well. I think she will just for the fact that even though she has had the freedom of being outside, she hardly ever leaves my front or backyard and is very sweet and loving. Never thought I would adopt a stray cat from outside, but I think she chose me, and not the other way around

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow: Wonderful news!!! Congratulations to you and to your new family member!!!! That is one lucky kitty to have found you. I do agree that there are times when these special kitties just come into our lives, are just meant to be in our lives - full time. AWWW I am so happy for you both. I think she will do very well indoors. :nod: Probably was abandoned and even possibly had a home at one point in her life. Great news that she was negative as well. Yes - FeLK and FIV are a combo test. Please keep us updated :clap::clap::clap: :vibes:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats! Nice news!  But what is with the kittens?  She had them in februari?  so they arent around any more, as you dont mention them?

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mces97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens were born march 9th. I had to give the kittens to a rescue group when they were a little over 5 weeks old. Not knowing what diseases the mama cat might have had, and I had a big scare with both of my indoor cats getting very sick, I could not bring them in yet, and had too much on my plate to handle. I know the kittens should have been with the mother longer, but I handled them and played with them everyday to make them as adjusted to people as possible. The mama had her surgery today. All went well. She has a drain in her arm because she had a bit of an absess from a wound that she kept picking at. She also had a low grade matistis that the vet thinks is probably nothing, but will hold onto the tissue sample if something more seems to be developing, as sending it out for biopsy would be expensive. I believe it is probably nothing as well. Most likely due to the fact that the kittens were exclusively nursing up to 5 minutes before they were taken away, so she was full of milk, and not even starting the weaning process. Oh, she was also pregnant again. The doctor said it was very early though, so I am glad that we had this done now, since I did not want to bring more kittens into the world, and I do not think the tiny kitten fetuses developed enough to feel pain. Either way I think I did the best possible thing for my new black cat Midnight. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWW poor Midnight. :rub: She has been through quite an ordeal, BUT now she is on the mend and will recover under your wonderful, loving care :heart3: I am sorry that she was newly pregnant again - but thank goodness you did get her in for the spay when you did. You did do the right thing by her. Don't worry, she will recover from her mastitis. AND you did the best thing for those five week old kittens she had too. I think you have done a fantastic job all together considering all of the circumstances involved. Bless you, hun :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mces97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Midnight is doing amazing. She adjusted so well to being inside. Our cats don't bother her and are curious about her, but nothing mean other than a few hisses if she moves when they sniff her, but our girl cat hissed at her brother of 9 years when he got back from the vet after being there for 3 days, so in another few days I am sure they will take to her as one of the family. Midnight loves the house though. She stays downstairs more, but I really can not believe how calm and sweet she is. I lay down right next to her and she rolls over and lets me pet her belly. She knew inside was a better deal for her and sensed from the first day I fed her last year what a good parent I would be to her. She purrs all the time too. Who says black cats are bad luck? 

mces97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the rescue lady today. She said 3 of the kittens were adopted. I am sure the other two will get adopted soon as well. If they are anything like their mother they will be amazingly sweet and loving pets.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow: Good news all around. I am SOOO happy to hear that Midnight is doing so well!!! Wonderful update on her :woohoo: :clap::clap: She sounds like a doll, such a sweetheart :rub: so not surprised to hear that her kittens are lovebugs too. AND another :woo: that three of the kittens have been adopted!! I am certain the other two will soon follow. OH JUST FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!! :high5: GOOD JOB :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited: