Well I'm Going to Adopt!

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm 23 so on the younger side, and even the really picky rescues around here (some require character references) will adopt to younger adults. Have the number to vet you plan to use on hand. They will likely ask that. It really does depend on the shelter. The place I got Zoey literally asked me nothing except my name and phone number.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweets1726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm 23 so on the younger side, and even the really picky rescues around here (some require character references) will adopt to younger adults. Have the number to vet you plan to use on hand. They will likely ask that. It really does depend on the shelter. The place I got Zoey literally asked me nothing except my name and phone number.
yea I have that because I used to rescue guinea pigs so the vet thing is a given (: thanks!! and yea that's how my SPCA is but I also want to look other places that require the application.

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for those kind words.You are obviously a very kind and and caring person and I wish you success with your furry .Best wishes :vibes:and love are being sent as I type this.:rbheart::rbheart:

sweets1726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone ii know its been a while!! Just an update ii have been looking at tons of shelters and have found three places that I will finalize my search for my new baby!

However ii have a quick question, on the application can I put my boyfriend as Co-adopter? or who would that pertain to?

Thanks,

Oni

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey there,

Adoption groups want to know who is going to be responsible for the animal.  If you include your boyfriend then they will likely want to talk to him as well as to you and see if he is prepared for the responsibility.  They would ask questions like, do you live together? For how long? Is he prepared to share the financial aspects of ownership? And they might even ask, who gets the cat if you break up?

If you don't list him as co-adopter then they won't ask those questions, and any questions they have would be solely directed at you.  If he is not listed, but does live with you, they still will likely want to meet him.

Hope this helps :-)

Stephen

sweets1726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hey there,

Adoption groups want to know who is going to be responsible for the animal.  If you include your boyfriend then they will likely want to talk to him as well as to you and see if he is prepared for the responsibility.  They would ask questions like, do you live together? For how long? Is he prepared to share the financial aspects of ownership? And they might even ask, who gets the cat if you break up?

If you don't list him as co-adopter then they won't ask those questions, and any questions they have would be solely directed at you.  If he is not listed, but does live with you, they still will likely want to meet him.

Hope this helps :-)

Stephen
Soo do ii necessarily have to put a co adoptee down?

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Soo do ii necessarily have to put a co adoptee down?
No. But there's no reason not to, if both your boyfriend and you will be caring for kitty and you're on the same page about how you're going to do that (which you should be anyway!).

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whether an adoptive couple is married or not, I DO always ask who will get custody of the cat or cats in the event of a separation.  I also ask for a "Godparent" in the case of a single older person who wants to adopt.  So many of the adult cats we take in are victims of divorce or death of the owner, and it's very sad.  Right now I have three fosters over at Petco, all children of divorce.  Two are purebred Manx, male brothers, 6 years old.  The couple got divorced, nobody took custody of the cats and they turned them over to their vet, who has turned them over to our rescue.  The other one was adopted from us three years ago by a great couple, but now they are divorced.  It was the wife's cat and she got custody but evidently they had to sell the house and she had to move in with relatives and of COURSE one of the relatives is allergic and her cat cannot come with her.  Our contract also requires our adopters to return the animal to us if they cannot keep it for any reason (keeps the cats off Craig's list and other dangerous places like kill shelters).  All three of these cats are super cats but here it is at the beginning of kitten season, and they aren't going to have much of a chance without the help of The Cat Goddess.  But at least they are safe & loved and do not seem unhappy where they are right now.  I'm praying for another miracle here too.  Who will adopt two solid black fat stumpy Manx boys who are 6 years old and must go together (they are bonded) when there are kittens coming out of the woodwork everywhere?

sweets1726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Whether an adoptive couple is married or not, I DO always ask who will get custody of the cat or cats in the event of a separation.  I also ask for a "Godparent" in the case of a single older person who wants to adopt.  So many of the adult cats we take in are victims of divorce or death of the owner, and it's very sad.  Right now I have three fosters over at Petco, all children of divorce.  Two are purebred Manx, male brothers, 6 years old.  The couple got divorced, nobody took custody of the cats and they turned them over to their vet, who has turned them over to our rescue.  The other one was adopted from us three years ago by a great couple, but now they are divorced.  It was the wife's cat and she got custody but evidently they had to sell the house and she had to move in with relatives and of COURSE one of the relatives is allergic and her cat cannot come with her.  Our contract also requires our adopters to return the animal to us if they cannot keep it for any reason (keeps the cats off Craig's list and other dangerous places like kill shelters).  All three of these cats are super cats but here it is at the beginning of kitten season, and they aren't going to have much of a chance without the help of The Cat Goddess.  But at least they are safe & loved and do not seem unhappy where they are right now.  I'm praying for another miracle here too.  Who will adopt two solid black fat stumpy Manx boys who are 6 years old and must go together (they are bonded) when there are kittens coming out of the woodwork everywhere?

No. But there's no reason not to, if both your boyfriend and you will be caring for kitty and you're on the same page about how you're going to do that (which you should be anyway!).
Yea, I was just making sure && yes we are on the same page, we wouldn't have made the decision otherwise (: Thanks guys! Also @Red Top Rescue  thank you for the amazing work that you do and the care and passion you seem to have for these animals
 && thank you for your insight