Well, I just made a sickening discovery

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poor boy.
He's gorgeous.
why wouldn't the rubberband or any form of docking hurt, Katzyn
I would think it would hurt. give sweet Bear a kiss for me.
I have always seen where I work with mixes with docked tails.
God gave them tails and ears for a reason just like God gave cats claws for a reason!

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, if you think about it...The band would pinch off the nerves (and if the animal is very young, as it should be! the nerves aren't very sensitive anyway..) as the band slowly necrosed the tissue, making the nerves dead and numb. So it makes sense that the tail would feel pain for a few minutes, then would go numb as the nerve was pinched off, and the tail would eventually fall off, closing the wound as it necroses, which would prevent at least most, if not all, bleeding and chance of infection. And I'm sure the pressure on the tail probably doesn't comfortable, but I don't think it -hurts-, either. If it's anything like a rubber band around the finger, as my teacher said, then it only hurts for a little while, until the nerve becomes numb.

I'd try it on my finger if I didn't care about losing it, but since I do, I guess we can't really know unless we want to potentially hurt an animal, if I'm wrong (which I may be, of course!).

And I'm having a memory laspe now about the gelding a stallion or bull...I can't remember if she was talking about using the rubber band or just doing it without anesthesia....

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the breed standards are changing. In Europe, for instance, you can't show a docked tail on several breeds - including Old English Sheepdogs. They are cute no matter what, but they certainly look different with a tail.

And having lots of experience keeping up with their coats when they are just pets, I can only imagine a working Sheepie with a tail.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't agree with it at all, dogs are born with ears and tails they way they are for a reason.

As to why a mix breed would have that done, a) to look tougher - as was said, and b) depending on the mix, hog or coyote hunting. Bully mixes get used for bringing down hogs around here.

What's even more messed up is hearing about people tying string around kittens tails....

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your dog is gorgeous, and lucky to have found an owner like you
. Give me the natural look any day. I have owned 2 Boxers, both of which had docked tails ~ they were both rescues so their tails had already been docked as pups. Were I ever to get another pup I would insist there be NO docking or cropping... I am dead against it. BTW, the dog in my signature is my Frenchie and she is all natural... bat ears and corkscrew tail
. I get really upset when we are out walking and people comment on her docked tail... couldn't be further from the truth!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't agree with it at all, dogs are born with ears and tails they way they are for a reason.
Um, natural dogs (wolves) aren't born with long floppy ears either. In the wild this would not be a good thing, it would not serve a good reason and floppy ears are more prone to ear infections. They are not born with smooshed faces that cause breathing problems. Or lots of wrinkles. Or a short body with short legs, or a long body and short legs, or 6 lbs. or under when full grown, or with long flowing hair, or not to be able to give birth without c-sections (like many French Bulldogs), or to stand 31 inches and over a hundred pounds, etc. I think you get the idea.

My point is there is no reason at all to a lot of MAN MADE domestic dog breeds. The reason may not be a reason at all, or it may be a certain function. Many of the dogs of the past were only bred for certain functions. Sometimes I think people forget this.
Some people say but that is the way God made them! No, not really. People play God every time they breed two together. It is the way people have made them. Look at all the different dog breeds, all the different functions, all the different types, and so forth. Most are far from "natural".

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't referring to the mutations we've caused in the name of cuteness, not at all. I was referring to dogs not usually being born with half or more of their ears missing (ever see a really bad home job on those?
).
Originally Posted by cococat

Some people say but that is the way God made them! No, not really.
I'd be the last person to ever claim that...

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Um, natural dogs (wolves) aren't born with long floppy ears either. In the wild this would not be a good thing, it would not serve a good reason and floppy ears are more prone to ear infections. They are not born with smooshed faces that cause breathing problems. Or lots of wrinkles. Or a short body with short legs, or a long body and short legs, or 6 lbs. or under when full grown, or with long flowing hair, or not to be able to give birth without c-sections (like many French Bulldogs), or to stand 31 inches and over a hundred pounds, etc. I think you get the idea.

My point is there is no reason at all to a lot of MAN MADE domestic dog breeds. The reason may not be a reason at all, or it may be a certain function. Many of the dogs of the past were only bred for certain functions. Sometimes I think people forget this.
Some people say but that is the way God made them! No, not really. People play God every time they breed two together. It is the way people have made them. Look at all the different dog breeds, all the different functions, all the different types, and so forth. Most are far from "natural".
Not to get into an argument, because I see that we both have and love Sphynx cats.... but same could be said for a couple of cat breeds as well
. Many of the brachycephalic breeds do indeed have issues, but many responsible breeders are trying to breed less extreme dogs and I am all for that... just pointing out that docking and cropping goes against the grain... my opinion.