Welcome to the World, Tiffin!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't see any pictures here at work with all the firewalls - I'm so sad.

I've been waiting impatiently with you Jennie to see this baby and now I have to wait until I get home tonight.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know nothing about horses so this is probably a stupid question,
Are those little hoofs sharp or are they soft until they are born?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is absolutely stunning. What a miracle - to be able to witness his birth must have been amazing!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww what a cute boy. I love the patch of white on his forehead and his little hooves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was all amazing - I am still recovering from the shock and wonder, as well as suffering lack of sleep. Maisie knew just what to do at every stage, and there was nothing I had to interfere on. I am keeping them inside for 24 hours, while poor Tartine is outside looking in, and does seem a bit bemused. But I have been giving her titbits each time I visit, and she will meet her new brother properly tomorrow, if the weather is OK, when I will let them all out in the field together. He is so funny - he is suckling well, but trying to eat hay, and he can't, because he has no teeth! He holds it in his mouth. But the instinct is there. He doesn't run from me any more - lets me go up and put my arms round him and stroke him all over and even put my fingers in his mouth and ears, while Maisie whinnies and bickers, and sometimes circles round. She is very protective, but not aggressive, which was one of my fears, that she might regress to being wild. But it all seems OK.

Originally Posted by littleraven7726

what a cutie!
are they minis?
They are Shetland ponies, the smallest British native breed, but now popular in many places. Too small for adults to ride, but children often learn on them, and they do ponytrap work. They are also often used as companion animals for bigger horses. But mine are just pets, though Maisie apparently used to pull a trap in her younger days.

The other question on hooves - they are born with a little soft covering on their hooves, that protects the mother, and they shed it as soon as they are born. They are not really sharp, they step on me occasionally and I don't feel it - but then, mine don't wear iron shoes as they never go on a road. In a previous existence I have been kicked by Shetlands with shoes, and had bruises for days.

Thanks for all your best wishes. And thanks, Anakat, for the new siggy!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on the new addition, Jenny! He is absolutely adorable. I am glad to hear it all went well.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, I not only have to keep coming back to this thread to keep that warm, fuzzy feeling, I had to show my co-worker (who agrees he's the cutest thing EVER), and printed out the pictures so she can show her daughter. And I used one of the pics for the latest graphics challenge, sketching.

Tiffin is SUCH a gorgous baby! Maisie did really good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heidi, that is wonderful! I am going to keep it and print it, if I may.