Welcome to Our New Advisors: LDG, TNR1 and Sharky

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I work on "Wall Street" as an equity analyst/Director of Research. So... I could provide financial advice - but I'd have to charge you for it!

Thanks for a warm welcome - actually, I'm just glad I've got time for TCS again! You'll find me spending most of my TCS time lurking around in the Caring for Strays and Ferals forum.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Congrats! couldn't have chosen 3 more well-informed people!
I agree! Congratulations girls!!! Now Wyan, about my CD's and IRA's............

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations you guys!
Very well deserved!

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, pardon me for possibly being dense. Were there old advisors? Are these in addition to them? Or have you just now decided to have advisors to answer people's questions? And what exactly does that mean? (Information coming from an advisor, while not guaranteed, is coming from someone who has demonstrated they are knowledgable?) I don't always look at the titles people have, so if there are already advisors, who are they? Or, does advisor mean moderator? (In which case, nevermind, I get it)

LDG, TNR1 & Sharky!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

Okay, pardon me for possibly being dense. Were there old advisors? Are these in addition to them? Or have you just now decided to have advisors to answer people's questions? And what exactly does that mean? (Information coming from an advisor, while not guaranteed, is coming from someone who has demonstrated they are knowledgable?) I don't always look at the titles people have, so if there are already advisors, who are they? Or, does advisor mean moderator? (In which case, nevermind, I get it)

LDG, TNR1 & Sharky!
These advisors are in addition to current ones. No matter how young our current advisors appear to be, I don't think they'd want to be called old.
You can click this link to see all of thecatsite's helpers: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showgroups.php It can been seen at the bottom of a forum index.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Everyone!! I'll be spending the majority of my time helping in the Pregnant Cat and Orphaned kitten section but don't be surprized to see me occationally in the Caring for Ferals and Strays and SOS sections.

Katie

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for answering my question!

Just a thought, I see so many people with thousands of posts and it would make sense that they know these people's backgrounds. But most newer people probably don't have a clue. I clicked on a couple profiles on the link you gave me, but they didn't really say anything. It might be nice to give a little intro of your new (not old
) advisors for us dummies.

Ex, our new advisor is a shelter volunteer for years, a certified vet tech, has their own shelter, has 300 cats, etc. I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out, but a little bit of introduction couldn't hurt, could it? (Yeah...make 'em stand up in front of the group and tell us about themselves!!)

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

Thank you for answering my question!

Just a thought, I see so many people with thousands of posts and it would make sense that they know these people's backgrounds. But most newer people probably don't have a clue. I clicked on a couple profiles on the link you gave me, but they didn't really say anything. It might be nice to give a little intro of your new (not old
) advisors for us dummies.

Ex, our new advisor is a shelter volunteer for years, a certified vet tech, has their own shelter, has 300 cats, etc. I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out, but a little bit of introduction couldn't hurt, could it? (Yeah...make 'em stand up in front of the group and tell us about themselves!!)
Cinder..Gaye is already ahead of you...she asked me to put a bio in the Pregnant cat forum...here you go:

Hello Everyone!!

I'm very excited to be able to assist you. Just a little background about me: I joined TCS Oct 2003. I have 2 cats of my own...Tigger (orange and white) and Habenaro (patch tabby) (picture below). They are the joys of my life (and yes, they are neutered/spayed). I volunteer with a local rescue group and at a feral cat clinic. I've fostered a few cats and have really enjoyed the experience but I've also experienced the sadness of losing a little kitten. I look forward to getting to know everyone on this board and do feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns that you may have.

Katie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi again!

My curriculum vitae:

I joined TCS in June 2002. Hubby and I conduct research on publicly traded companies for a living, and our research is distributed to the people who manage money. We lived full time in an RV. We traveled the country visiting companies, meeting management and touring their facilities. After 9/11, a lot of scandals, etc. the nature of our business changed a lot, and we seemed pretty permanently parked in a lovely park in New Jersey. We befriended our first feral, Booger. Turns out she was already spayed - and was a pure bred Maine Coone! The late Spring of 2002, a litter of kittens turned up in our yard. After feeding them for a few weeks, I started conducting research...

The result was the discovery of The Cat Site. I became a really active member, and not too long after that I became a moderator. Along with two other mods and a TCS member (valanhb, okeefekl, and Russian Blue) we ended up developing two websites: http://www.savesamoa.org and http://www.straypetadvocacy.org.

Hubby and I became very active TNR advocates. When things got really tough at work and we adopted a homeless 18-year-old heroin addict, Naomi - and then lost our jobs, and then Gary started experiencing all kinds of health problems - I became pretty scarce at TCS and resigned as a Mod because I just couldn't be here on any kind of regular or timely basis.

Although Gary's still got a number of health issues, the rest seems to have settled down a bit, and I've become a pretty regular visitor to the Caring for Strays and Ferals forums these days (though I pop up in the Behavior and Health & Nutrition forums too
).

All our kitties are feral rescues. Apart from the first two we rescued as pets, the rest of our gang we kept because they were special needs kitties. Flowerbelle is deaf, has one eye, and is close to blind in the other. Spooky was abused. Tuxedo was insanely aggressive (sent two cats to the hospital with stitches), totally disruptive to the feral colony we'd "collected," and then developed an autoimmune disease that almost caused his death (and he's such a lover now!!!). Ming Loy is neurologically damaged, and we had to "coat" our entire house with bubble wrap and pillows until she grew enough to control her muscle coordination. Lazlo was our first indoor-only pet, and he's still our most "ferally" of them all. Sheldon should have been named Sylvester - he's a silly loving goof!

We began working with local vets and shelters, and became known as "the crazy cat" people that anyone could turn to. We started spay/neuter funds at numerous vets, and we supported the start-up of a shelter in Northern NJ while continuing to practice TNR, and especially through the SPA site, advocate TNR and support those who needed info &etc.

We've fostered and socialized numerous ferals, and we cared for a small feral colony (22 at the height?) - they all ended up being adopted out except the one mom that disappeared after being spayed. If you count the kitties rehomed through the shelter we were closely affiliated with in 2004/2005, we've helped trap and spay/neuter and return to a colony or rehome over 400 cats. We also help co-ordinate rescues for people who individually contact us, regardless of where they are in the country. Unfortunately, we haven't developed a network outside of the U.S.

We moved into a house in the fall of 2004, and the kitties have all loved having the stairs to zip around on! They don't seem to appreciate having all the extra space, and they did great and were incredibly happy when we took a trip in the RV in February.

I always tend to write novels, but I always address questions the way I would want to be answered. I got my start in working with ferals at TCS and learned so much here - and I'm just glad I've got time again to share some of that knowledge and experience.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for the welcome.... Hi I am Jennifer and I will be helping advise in Health and Nutrition... I will update my profile over the next few days
... Sorry eliquance wont come from me..

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Wow TNR1, you work with rescue and TNR and only manage to have two cats. That is an achievement!

Very cool curriculum vitae, LDG. I'll check out those websites.

Well, sharky, you may not be eloquent, but with 7000+ posts you certainly are prolific!

Congrats to you all!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow TNR1, you work with rescue and TNR and only manage to have two cats. That is an achievement!
LOL....well, believe me, I'd have more...only I live in an 855 sq. ft. condo and my two cats have made it very clear whenever I foster that those cats are not sticking around.

Katie