Weird Vet Prescription

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually posted about this earlier in a different thread as an answer but not many responded, so I decided to ask about this in a separate thread. It is a different discussion anyway.

I came back from the vet, and he prescribed 4 things for Counts sickness for 15 days at least. Two of them are pills: Theophylline and Methylprednisolone. I think this may be a bit excessive but I will give them anyway just in case.

The question in my head comes from the other two things in the prescription: A drop of black cumin oil and Half a teaspoon of virgin olive oil. Not sure if I'm dealing with a doctor or a village herbalist. I don't know if I should give them. I don't know what purpose they serve, if they are safe, or even if they do anything at all, since this just feels like folk remedy. I'm surprised that he didn't ask me to sacrifice a virgin to please the gods or whatever. What should I do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What ever happened with his lung issues (from the other thread)? The
Theophylline is a bronchodilator and the Methylprednisolone is a corticosteroid, which both could make sense depending on the lung issue.

As far as the black cumin oil, I am guessing it might be for reducing inflammation in the body; and, the virgin olive oil might be for preventing hairballs and/or constipation?? Did you ask the vet what he was trying to accomplish?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. What ever happened with his lung issues (from the other thread)? The
Theophylline is a bronchodilator and the Methylprednisolone is a corticosteroid, which both could make sense depending on the lung issue.

As far as the black cumin oil, I am guessing it might be for reducing inflammation in the body; and, the virgin olive oil might be for preventing hairballs and/or constipation?? Did you ask the vet what he was trying to accomplish?
He's getting better I think but not as much as the vet expected apparently. He prescribed these and he will see Count in 15 days. I asked the vet about them but I don't think he gave me a good enough answer. Either that or I forgot which happens often due to the antidepressants that I use (as a side effect). Either case, I don't know the purpose of those. Not sure if they are safe either. And when I search for black cumin oil for cats I get conflicting information about it's safety.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know the purpose of those. Not sure if they are safe either. And when I search for black cumin oil for cats I get conflicting information about it's safety.
I think of them as holistic/natural type treatments; they are intended to perhaps help in the overall care of certain illnesses/issues.

If you are not comfortable with them, you could always call the vet and ask for a better explanation of their purpose, and also request documentation that states they are safe.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Often essential oils needs to be combined with other oils before rubbed on skin so they don't cause irritation. Was the "prescription" to rub this in his ear, or how were you to give it to him? As to whether or not it's safe for cats, I would certainly hope your Vet wouldn't tell you to give it to him if it weren't, and as you said, on the internet it goes either way :dunno:

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Often essential oils needs to be combined with other oils before rubbed on skin so they don't cause irritation. Was the "prescription" to rub this in his ear, or how were you to give it to him? As to whether or not it's safe for cats, I would certainly hope your Vet wouldn't tell you to give it to him if it weren't, and as you said, on the internet it goes either way :dunno:
He's supposed to eat them. I was told to add them to his food. As for the irritation part, he mentioned black cumin oil 5 days ago but the olive oil was added at the last minute today. So I don't think it is about irritation, it probably serves a different purpose

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the olive oil was for possible hairballs. It also has some beneficial nutrients in it and antioxidants. My vet recommended fish oil, but Mingo is allergic to fish and it smelled horrible. If a little bit of it splashed, I spread it all around the house, which soon smelled fishy, so I had to stop using it.

I'm thinking the olive oil is supposed to work in combination with the other meds you are giving him. You can look it up here Why Extra Virgin Olive Oil is The Healthiest Fat on Earth

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Theophylline and Methylprednisolone...
Funny. I'd feel far more comfortable giving my cats Black Cumin and Olive Oil, than those pills you mentioned. (I'm a Naturalist.)

Do an internet search for "holistic olive oil for cats" and, likewise, for black cumin. See if it helps you feel more comfortable giving them to your cat.

One thing that stands out, in my mind, is that these are natural foods and can't hurt your cat -- except, in the off-chance, he has an allergy to either.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing that stands out, in my mind, is that these are natural foods and can't hurt your cat -- except, in the off-chance, he has an allergy to either.
Cocoa is natural but bad for cats, certain flowers are natural but bad for cats. Just because it is natural doesn't mean it is safe for cats. And that's what I'm trying to figure out. When I research online about safety of these, I get conflicting results. I was hoping someone here have these to his cat without anything bad happening, or at least somebody knew for sure that these are safe. If they are safe, even if they don't do anything, I will still give them to my cat just in case, since that is the vets recommendation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still think what you need to do is ask your vet what is the purpose of the black cumin oil and the olive oil. Once you find out how he thinks they might help your cat, ask for other 'natural' remedies/alternatives that work in the same way. Get a list and do the research on those.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve heard of people giving their cats olive oil before, although I think it’s usually more of a home remedy for hairballs or constipation. I’m no expert, though.

For the cumin oil, I agree that you should ask your vet for confirmation. I checked the ASPCA website, and it says that caraway (common name cumin) can cause “mild vomiting and diarrhea” in cats.

Caraway

And, again, I’m no expert, it *might* be that in low amounts, cumin oil is fine, but I would recommend double checking.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still think what you need to do is ask your vet what is the purpose of the black cumin oil and the olive oil. Once you find out how he thinks they might help your cat, ask for other 'natural' remedies/alternatives that work in the same way. Get a list and do the research on those.
I’ve heard of people giving their cats olive oil before, although I think it’s usually more of a home remedy for hairballs or constipation. I’m no expert, though.

For the cumin oil, I agree that you should ask your vet for confirmation. I checked the ASPCA website, and it says that caraway (common name cumin) can cause “mild vomiting and diarrhea” in cats.

Caraway

And, again, I’m no expert, it *might* be that in low amounts, cumin oil is fine, but I would recommend double checking.
Vet says that my cat is suffering quite a bit from the sickness, and black cumin oil will help him. Doesn't sound too important tbh. I asked about the poisonous part, and he said the concentration is too low to cause a problem.

By the way abyeb abyeb cumin (Carum carvi) and black cumin (Nigella Savita) are different plants. Black cumin is not on the poisonous list.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Vet says that my cat is suffering quite a bit from the sickness, and black cumin oil will help him. Doesn't sound too important tbh. I asked about the poisonous part, and he said the concentration is too low to cause a problem.

By the way abyeb abyeb cumin (Carum carvi) and black cumin (Nigella Savita) are different plants. Black cumin is not on the poisonous list.
That is also what I read about the Nigella Savita - OK, as long as given in a very small amount.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I will give a small amount today to see. I will stay awake with him for a few hours at least and see if there are any bad reactions. I can rush him to a 24/7 vet if anything bad happens. Fingers crossed.

Oysterbay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did Nestle try to patent black cumin oil? There's an interesting controversy that Nestle tried to and the company responded on its website essentially "no we would never try to do that:"

No. We’ve never claimed to ‘own’ the fennel flower, nor have we tried to patent it. Our patent application related only to the specific way that thymoquinone - a compound that can be extracted from the seed of the fennel flower - interacts with opioid receptors in the body and could help to reduce allergic reactions to food. The patent was not granted, and we are no longer pursuing it. The fennel flower (also known as Nigella sativa, black seed and black cumin) is a natural species, and nobody could, or should, benefit from ownership over it. In accordance with the Convention on Biological Diversity, we fully support the principle of fair access and benefit-sharing when it comes to the raw materials we use.

You'll find the rest via a quick Google search.

Oysterbay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today standing in line at the market I read a DOD, NCI and NIH-funded review on nigella sativa that I found entertaining and enlightening: “From Here to Eternity” — the author is Padhye. Worth a look since it’s a quick read, though there have been many studies completed since that publication in 2008.