Weird upper body movement

Will&Griff2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old while laying down his upper body moves a lot when he breathes. I took him in May to the vet he didn’t find anything on physical. I showed him the video of what happens while he’s trying to sleep and he said he thinks he’s having an allergic reaction. While it’s happening if I touch him it feels like he’s vibrating and no he’s not purring. Everything else is fine eating, energy, etc. The vet did put him on steriods and a bronchodilator for 3 weeks and no change. Anyone ever experienced this type of issue? I wish I could post a video. When he’s laying on his side as he breaths in his legs lift like a muscle movement

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have anything offer, but just wanted to tell you that if you use YouTube you can upload a video there and then post a link to it on this site. Apparently, during the last upgrade to this site, direct video uploads are not working and I don't believe that has been fixed yet. But, a YouTube link will work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Will&Griff2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I don't have anything offer, but just wanted to tell you that if you use YouTube you can upload a video there and then post a link to it on this site. Apparently, during the last upgrade to this site, direct video uploads are not working and I don't believe that has been fixed yet. But, a YouTube link will work.
Ok I’m trying to do that now but YouTube keeps giving me errors at the moment

Will&Griff2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hopefully it works I’ve never uploaded from YouTube before

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It worked, but I am afraid it didn't help me to come up with anything - sorry! Does he only do it when sleeping? It is almost like a tiny spasm in his chest area? Feeby does jerky/spasmodic motions when she sleeps, but they affect all of her arms/legs. She has done it for years, and the vet thinks it is just a mild neurological issue. She also seems to have a mild form of hyperesthesia, which is likely tied to the jerky movements. It has never progressed in all her years, so I just let it be. But, it is different than what I see in your video. Does he have spasms of any other kind or exhibit any other signs of hyperesthesia (see article link below about this condition)?

Hope some other members come along soon and have some ideas for you!

Feline Hyperesthesia

Will&Griff2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It worked, but I am afraid it didn't help me to come up with anything - sorry! Does he only do it when sleeping? It is almost like a tiny spasm in his chest area? Feeby does jerky/spasmodic motions when she sleeps, but they affect all of her arms/legs. She has done it for years, and the vet thinks it is just a mild neurological issue. She also seems to have a mild form of hyperesthesia, which is likely tied to the jerky movements. It has never progressed in all her years, so I just let it be. But, it is different than what I see in your video. Does he have spasms of any other kind or exhibit any other signs of hyperesthesia (see article link below about this condition)?

Hope some other members come along soon and have some ideas for you!

Feline Hyperesthesia
This just started at the end of April, it’s only his top limbs doing it while he lays down. Other then that everything else is fine he eats still hasn’t lost weight, active, loving etc. No wheezing or anything it’s like a muscle problem but it doesn’t effect him in any way other then while laying down. I’m stumped

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand why you are stumped! Any position at all while he is laying down, or just certain positions? Just curious if it could be some sort of nerve issue (something like a pinched nerve based on being pressed when in certain positions). Wild guess on my part...

Will&Griff2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he’s laying on a flat surface yes it happens, now if he’s laying on top of the couch pillow in an upper curled up position he doesn’t do it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't correlate that with anything I know about cats, but with humans being 'propped up' (as opposed to laying flat) in order to breath better relates to respiratory or digestive issues - as in lung function, heart conditions, or things like acid reflux. I would ask your vet what other testing can be done along those lines. Maybe an ultrasound?