weird things...

tacal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to this site. But my one cat Midnight he is about 11yrs old.
he has some very weird habits, first he licks plastic bags ( I think it has something to do with the cornstarch) he has also started "mouthing" things, he puts his mouth on a alarm clocks corners,coffee mug handle, taking kids Barbie shoes from downstairs to up stairs.
when you talk to him he just flops right on the floor on his side, lol. He will also plucks fur from my other cat, but he does his fair share of plucking
any thoughts??

abylover1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
all my cats love plastic bags, they are like delicacies to them, I always have to be careful not to leave them lying around. The biting and the moving around of objects doesnt seem like something weird to me, even at 11 years old. I have a 16 year old that surprises me with her little habits sometimes

What I'm lookin it as the plucking fur, cats usually pluck fur if they are anxious, have a skin rash, or even have some sort of fleas/ticks....you should take him to the vet to check out why he is taking out fur, that is not normal

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My boy sometimes licks plastic bags, and like you I have thought it was probably the corn starch: he doesn't do it with all of them.  I try to keep them out of his way in case he has a reaction to any of them, or chews and eats a bit.

With the mouthing things, is he chewing / biting at the corners of stuff or is he rubbing at them with the side of his face and mouth like scenting?  If he is mouthing at stuff, have a good look in his mouth if you can to check if it looks red at all, or have your vet check him in case it is something to do with his teeth as that is the kind of things kittens do when they are teething.

Plucking fur from your other cat?  Is that when play fighting, kneading, or biting?  I haven't seen this before other than when cats have been play fighting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tacal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The "plucking" is more when they are sitting together , cleaning each other, its not that he takes out clumps and leaves patches of no hair,its maybe more like the amount that comes off a brush from grooming.

as far as the mouthing. No he is not rubbing head/scenting, but was really weird is that he will only do it when he is in my brother-in-law's room.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
The plucking and grooming fur off a companion is not that unusual, I suggest you watch out for furballs if one sheds a lot more fur this way than the other though.  One of my girls shed terribly and her sister was the one that was always suffering the consequences....

Could he be scenting the BiLs room?  Does he live with you or come on a regular basis that he has his own room?

tacal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lives with us, not a new person in the house...maybe 4yrs or so.
just odd to me. I have had Midnight since he was old enough to leave his mother, he is about 10yrs old.
he JUST started the mouthing a few months ago. I don't know just kinda odd I was thinking.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
If Midnight is only mouthing things your BiL picks up / touches could it be something on his hands that attracts Midnight?  Different soap, or a kind of aftershave or something, maybe with mint?  That wouldn't explain the Barbie shoes of course, unless they belong to your BiL too. 
   If you feel there is a significant behaviour change it is always a good idea to discuss it with your vet and take Midnight along for a general check up just in case there is a medical reason for it.

tacal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol nooo. They don't belong to him. I never thought of something that was on his hands.. That something to look into.
thanks!