Weird Thing My Cat Does While Drinking?

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ollie, who's about a year old, has this weird thing he does when he drinks water. He drapes one of his arms across the bowl while he's drinking; in the video below, it's his right arm, but I think I've seen him do it with the left, too.

One theory I came up with is that because it's a big bowl, he's being protective of his space? His brother is a bit of a pig and if it were food, would definitely have his face in there, shoving him out of the way, so I don't know if he thinks he's worried the same thing will happen with the water?

One thing that's apparent in this video is that they need a stand for the bowl to raise it up. I'll work on that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he put a paw on the plate with his food too? I have seen my outside cats do this often, they do it to hold the plate from scooting away from them when they eat. Maybe your boy has tipped the water and is holding it steady. Pretty smart, no matter what the 'reason'!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that fella of yours loves his water! Good thing :)

I think he just wants to protect his water bowl from tipping over. :)

One of my cats, Barley, does that to his food bowl. Imagine one paw on his plate while eating! I sometimes tell him he's got no table manners. LOL.

I love your cat. He is beautiful!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
One alternative to raising the bowl up is just to get a big bowl. I use a medium size mixing bowl for Willow.