Weird substance found in cat litter, help!

squawk31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was scooping out my cat's litter box today when I noticed something strange on one of her urine clumps. It was sparkling in the sunlight, which is something the basic unscented litter I buy doesn't do. Upon closer inspection I noticed multiple white and fuzzy looking things on top of the clump, they sorta looked like seeds or spores. However, I was in a very low lighting setting and didn't get to inspect it for that long, so my explanation may not be perfect. Every other urine clump looked normal, same with her feces. I haven't changed my cat's diet, and she's been acting perfectly normal and healthy. She was very low on litter when I scooped the strange clump up, so maybe that has something to do with it? Does anyone know what this could be? I'm going to keep an eye on her litter for the next few days.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no clue. I kinda doubt it came from inside your cat, though. It could be some odd thing in the litter, I suppose. You could email them about this and ask. Or it could be something she walked through that reacted to the combination of litter and urine. Is she acting totally normal for her? If so, just keep a watch on things for a day or so, and see if it repeats. IF she starts acting oddly, though, especially having problems in the box, get an appointment for her asap!

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
It almost looks like litter box deodorant maybe clumped up. Do you use any of that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squawk31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no clue. I kinda doubt it came from inside your cat, though. It could be some odd thing in the litter, I suppose. You could email them about this and ask. Or it could be something she walked through that reacted to the combination of litter and urine. Is she acting totally normal for her? If so, just keep a watch on things for a day or so, and see if it repeats. IF she starts acting oddly, though, especially having problems in the box, get an appointment for her asap!
Yes, she's acting totally normal, nothing seems wrong on her end. I'll definitely keep an eye out for anything odd these next few days.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I'll watch for updates, and file this under "Litter Box Mysteries #4,231.