Weird smell?

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we were doing house renovations a few weeks back, and we put our cat in his carrier once for 2-3 hours just because there was no other way to keep him temporarily as we didn’t want him to get into the house renovation mess. I didn’t notice much at that time, but recently there has been a smell and only yesterday did I find out it was coming from his carrier.

I’m not sure if that smell was there when he was kept in the carrier, which is why I’m concerned, I can’t tell if its a cat pee smell or if its a chemical smell. It was a pungent salty smell, so I wanted to assume he had perhaps sprayed or peed while being in the carrier, but then again he never has sprayed anywhere else so it made me hesitate to assume it was pee. I’m worried that it is a chemical smell and that he was stuck in the carrier with that chemical smell still there (I hadn’t noticed the smell was coming from the carrier till just yesterday).

I did some research and saw a post with someone claiming that a chemical smell from a cat tree they had purchased, had the vet thinking that that could have been the cause to their cat having liver cancer, and completely freaked me out since my cat might have been exposed to some sort of furniture chemical smell, stuck in the carrier with the smell too :( I tend to get very paranoid about health related things so this really freaked me out and wanted to ask around if anyone had similar experiences

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What could have possibly gotten into the carrier fibers/material that would last very long? It was also such a short period of time that he was confined to in there, it probably wouldn't make a difference. Do you smell it anywhere else in the house?

You could try a blacklight to see if urine stains show up in the carrier. After that, if it can be washed, I would wash it, let it dry, and then forget about it. Seriously.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it’s very likely that he peed while in the carrier. How could a chemical have gotten into the carrier? It just doesn’t make sense. One time I smelled a strong, horrible, chemical smell in the room I was staying in at my parents. I swear it smelled like fuel oil. Come to find out, their dog peed in my bed. I truly didn’t think it smelled like pee, but that’s what it was. So maybe a cats pee can have a similar chemical smell.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Do you smell it anywhere else in the house?
That was my first thought too. 👍

If it was a chemical smell from the renovation work being done you would have smelled it in other places of your house not just the carrier. Do you keep towels or blankets in the carrier? If so, the kitty may have soiled them which is what you were smelling in the carrier. I agree to thoroughly wash out the career and anything else that was in it. If your cat is eating, using the litter box, playful and acting normal I wouldn't worry too much. :alright: