Weird smell on my cat head after castration?

min0205

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Today i just brought one of my male cat for castration. Everything went according to the vet! :) He have a collar on him to prevent him from licking (even though he doesn't really like it) and I guess he is really hungry as he was ate everything very fast (small meals x2)

The question tat i would like to ask is..... Why does he have a weird smell only on his head?? It smell like urine but in a way it smell like medicine too [emoji]129300[/emoji] Does it happen to all of your cats too?

Hope to receive some advices from you guys! Advices on things to watch out/pay attention on for his after surgery care is also very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance xx

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It's been almost 24 hours since you wrote, so by now the smell is probably gone.  If not, just wipe off his head with a wet cloth.   Wipes are available at pet stores that will help clean and deodorize his head.  I've never had a cat return from the vet smelling that way, but you could always ask your vet about it.

Your boy should recover quickly from the surgery.  A lot of male cats don't even need the collar.  He might be a bit subdued for the next day or so, but should be back to normal then.  It's good he's eating - that's really important.  If he stops eating and gets lethargic or seems to be in any pain, call your vet.  He should be fine though.  Most cats recover very easily.  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That weird smell is betadine surgical scrub. Yuck! I don't know how he got it on his head, maybe the vet or tech touched his head after using the betadine :lol3:. But yeah, you can let it wear off or just take a wet rag and wipe him.