Weird Roan/Merle kitten ???

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We found a 6 week old(according to the vet) dying kitten in our yard after a nasty storm came through. He was sopping wet, covered in rolly pollies and lice(hundreds of lice! Yucky!), severely dehydrated(odd, considering he was sopping wet), and nothing but skin and bones. :(

When we got home and I ended up having to shave down the main part of his body because there were SOOOO many lice and they were to small to get out with a flea comb. :/ I left his head, tail, and legs with all their fur.

Anyways...he was solid black when we found him, but when his fur started growing back in it came in mostly WHITE. o_O I thought perhaps it was because I shaved him since the white hair seemed to be only on the part where he'd been shaved, but now his face, tail, and legs are getting the white hairs too.

Is this because of the lice or something or is he actually a roan/merle? I couldn't find any pics online of roan/merle cats.

Here's a couple pics of him right after we found him:

And now:

BTW, his name is Toad(cause he didn't meow as a kitten, he croaked :p) and he needs a home! If anyone in the northern OH area is looking for a new family member, let me know! He's a total sweetheart and demands sleeping next to your head at night, loves other cats, dogs, and small critters(rats, mice, and sugar gliders), and is completely litterbox trained. Indoor-only homes, NO DECLAWING!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's called "fever coat" and is common in kitties who were sick at one point. It'll grow out normally when he's older. It looks pretty cool for now, though!

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
actually fever coat happens if the mother is sick during late pregnancy, the kitten could also be a smoke.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, fever coats happen if the kitten is ill not just during pregnancy 

Smoke coats are visible at a younger age too

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, the general consensus, is, that pure domestic cats, can't have a coat like that, without, the coat being formed from an illness? In other words, there is no such thing as, silver tip/grizzled, like in Chausies/Jungle Cat hybrids? Since, that, is what it looks like to me. But, I am fairly sure, there, are not many loose/stray Jungle Cat hybrids/Chausies. Or, so I hope.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestics can have a smoke coat . but that's not what this is ( and i don't think that's what you're asking).     I won't say it is impossible for a domestic to have that grizzled look like a Chausie but I have never seen it.    I agree there are not likely many if any Chausies running around breeding randomly.   I know there are VERY few Chausie breeders.  

I know one Chausie breeder who thinks that one of  the "Good Luck Cats"  from the medieval-era Thai manuscripts "Tamra Maew", sounds / looks like a cat with a grizzled coat like a Chausie.  It's possible there were Jungle Cat x domestic hybrids in Southeast Asia 700 years ago.  or it's possible some sort of mutation turned up like that in purely domestic cats,  but if so I don't think it was preserved.  That's not to say it might not ever happen. 

But this kitten looks to me like fever coat.  

Thanks to the OP for saving him! 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestics can have a smoke coat . but that's not what this is ( and i don't think that's what you're asking).

You are correct. Thank you, for, understanding, since, I seem to be very hard to understand at times!

I won't say it is impossible for a domestic to have that grizzled look like a Chausie but I have never seen it.

I have, NEVER, seen it either. But, I agree, one hundred percent, that, it is not impossible.

I agree there are not likely many if any Chausies running around breeding randomly.  

Yes, but, as you know, the Chausie breed, is the easiest, at the F1 level, Which, just made me think, that maybe F1/F2/F3 female, could have breed a domestic male. I am sure you already know all this

I know there are VERY few Chausie breeders.  

I agree. I do think/suspect, that, many "hybrids" are mixed with Jungle cats, and "odd domestics", As in a Jungle cat to a curly eared cat or to a bob-tailed cat.

I know one Chausie breeder who thinks that one of  the "Good Luck Cats"  from the medieval-era Thai manuscripts "Tamra Maew", sounds / looks like a cat with a grizzled coat like a Chausie.  It's possible there were Jungle Cat x domestic hybrids in Southeast Asia 700 years ago.  

Cool, that is very very interesting. Thank you, for sharing that with me
!

or it's possible some sort of mutation turned up like that in purely domestic cats,  but if so I don't think it was preserved.  That's not to say it might not ever happen. 

I agree
!