Weird question....

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, because I've worked in the death industry, and I know that the vast majority of bodies donated to medical research are rejected.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've signed to be an organ donor, but no, letting a bunch of med students use me... I can't handle that. I don't like the idea of cremation, either, but it's the least of the evils, I think.

Actually, I'd rather just achieve immortality.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I am a registered organ donor and I have seriously thought about donating my body too. I've thought about it and honestly I don't want a memorial service or anything like that when I die. Have some people over for cake and punch and call it a day.

As far as the memorial service for your father, Heather, have the memorial with a portrait or something and then have a private burial later
I might be mistaken, but I thought that they didn't return the body? once it's the medical facility's, it's the facility's. I think some folks do this to save on burial costs
Some of them do return it. Just depends on if the family requests it or not.
Originally Posted by Epona

No, because I've worked in the death industry, and I know that the vast majority of bodies donated to medical research are rejected.
This is somewhat true.

Our cadavers were of cancer patients. One was a woman who died of lung cancer from smoking, the other prostate cancer.

We even had children

Remember, they use the bodies for research. You don't have to have perfect health.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Some of them do return it. Just depends on if the family requests it or not.

This is somewhat true.

Our cadavers were of cancer patients. One was a woman who died of lung cancer from smoking, the other prostate cancer.

We even had children

Remember, they use the bodies for research. You don't have to have perfect health.
There are fairly strict criteria here and most people who want to donate their bodies don't meet that, here we also have an issue of disposal once the cadavers have been used - a lot of people assume that it will place no burden on their families, but the next of kin is still responsible for disposal and the cost of doing so falls upon them, often unexpectedly, some time after the event.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel it's a little bit selfish of me, but no, I will not donate my body to science. I just can't get used to the idea of having my body poked by unknown people, even though I know a lot of good can come from it.

Organ donation- totally. I've made sure everyone knows that I want my organs to be donated, but I just can't go so far as donating my whole body. I hope it's an idea I can grow into though.