weird poops

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have a siamese who has got weird poops. She's almost 11 months old, and we switched the litter to pine pellets in February and started noticing just how weird -- poops had previously been in clay litter and we wouldn't really notice any oddity other than her occasional stepping in them, which we attributed to her young age at the time. HOWEVER, now we've moved to all-wet diet, there's a little consistency in the weirdness. The poops always start out solid, normal-looking, darkish brown, THEN from time to time by the end of the BM there is that same color but in liquid form. Just, pure liquid. She kindly poops on the side of the box, so we get a great measure of what is going on. I give her a little pumpkin one day, and then the poops again start out solid & normal, before ending in the BM with a slight greenish tinge and slightly soft (though a far cry from liquid). So, what is up with this change in poop in a single bowel movement, either ending in liquid or ending in soft and different color?

It's been a fairly recent move to all wet food (just recent enough that there's now consistency in diet/BM's), and her fur is shinier and I'm currently watching her to see if there's a difference if she eats one ingredient over another (esp. chicken), but nothing conclusive at this time ... should I try a diet of just novel proteins and just see if there's a difference? Any supplements that would be the answer? Ideally, I'd like to find her a diet that agrees with her (if I can even be sure what's going on is that the diet isn't agreeing?), but not wholly sure what that looks like. Does this sound like anything anyone's encountered before?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like it may be diet-related. It may be that her system isn't used to all the liquid yet. The different color is something I would bring up to the vet the next time she is in. You might write it down if it isn't resolved by then. it takes weeks for their systems to get used to a change in diet. I would stick to a certain protein and stick with it for a month and see what happens. of course, change if it makes things worse. Pumpkin added once in a while wouldn't hurt, it adds fiber, which is something her body is getting used to being without, dry is a lot of fiber.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Regarding the color -- my cat is pretty normal, but occasionally she'll pass a good amount of poop and have a softer stool than normal by the end. I have noticed that the softer end does change a little in color from dark brown to dark green (like a dark olive green?).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Regarding the color -- my cat is pretty normal, but occasionally she'll pass a good amount of poop and have a softer stool than normal by the end. I have noticed that the softer end does change a little in color from dark brown to dark green (like a dark olive green?).
Yea, if it was every once in a while I wouldn't really be questioning it, sometimes poops get weird. But it's like that every time, so I'm thinking I'll probably bring it up with the vet