Weird patch of fur on back paw

dmb216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I created an account here last month when my 2 bonded cats started fighting. Things are going better (slowly) but I did happen to notice something today. DM - a 7 year old spayed cat with no known health issues - has a really strange patch of fur on the inside of her rear paw. It's a little raised and there is a hard layer almost like a scab at the base. She does not react when I touch and prod the area so it doesn't seem to be causing pain. I also haven't noticed a limp or anything. I've definitely been paying closer attention to the cats over the last month but I am fairly certain this did not exist before. I have included some photos as well. Any thoughts on what is going on? Could it be a cut that is healing? Excessive grooming? It was tough to search for because most responses were related to bald spots - which doesn't quite fit the description here.

DM_paw_wide.jpg
DM_paw_close.jpg

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I'll weigh in... My guess is it's a scratch or wound. Since it doesn't look swollen/puffy, nor wet/oozy, then probably older. If you can, see if you can clean it. I use colloidal silver since it doesn't sting (feels like water) and okay if cat ingests a little. I think you can use other disinfectants though (look up online if you want). Watch the area for signs above. Otherwise, scab should fall off, hair should grow back.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really have no idea what that could be, tbh. It almost looks like an arc-like circular/oval area where hair is missing with hair in the middle. So, it could be some sort of scratch. I'd just keep an eye on it and see if it improves or spreads, especially if it doesn't seem to be bothering him. You can even take pics to watch for progression one way or the other - if it changes negatively, then you have pics to share with the vet.

I didn't go back to your previous post(s) so don't know if DM goes outside or if there is something inside your home that could have caused a small injury. You might look around to see if you could pinpoint a cause, and if so, remove whatever it could be.

In the meantime, you could use chamomile tea as a home remedy. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then soak that place using cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is also safe for DM to ingest.