Weird Number Do not answer

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it was like 10 AM and my phone rings and its a weird number that I have never seen. The number was 2123819615 so I figured it was something with a bank or something they would leave a message... But they didnt so I got up and googled the number. Apparently its some scam going around where they claim to be from some cell phone company (there are reports from Tmobile and Suncom) and they are offering promotional pricing.

Normally I never answer weird numbers but I'm having bank / at&t problems so I thought it was from one of them....

If you get a call from this number please report them to the FTC!
https://esupport.fcc.gov/form1088/consumer.do
And register to the do not call list!

I just wanted everyone to know about this!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a call from a weird number around here a few days ago and when I looked it up it said it was a scam and they said they were from all different places. I tried to call the number back but it was unavailable. For people from Ontario the number was (519)858-1931.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We almost never answer numbers we don't recognize -- only if we're expecting a call from someone whose number we don't know. Our outgoing message tells the caller that, and to leave a message if they want to talk to us. If they don't, that's their problem. We do get some weird messages...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I often get weird numbers calling my cell phone - generally it's a recorded message saying my car insurance is up and I should take advantage of their deals (they don't specify who they're with of course, just "your car insurance has expired"), and to press 2 to speak to someone about it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I got a call from a weird number around here a few days ago and when I looked it up it said it was a scam and they said they were from all different places. I tried to call the number back but it was unavailable. For people from Ontario the number was (519)858-1931.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-519-858-1931

I didn't even know you could look up a phone number by entering the numbers into google!

I don't bother doing anything when it's a "weird number", mainly because I don't use caller ID. I just have an answering machine. When I don't feel like talking to anyone I don't answer my phone and let my machine pick it up. Otherwise if I do answer it and it's a fax sound or no one is there, I just hang up and go about my day and don't worry about it.

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm beginning to wonder if that "do not call" thingy actually works when u register your numbers. I registered and i'm STILL getting calls from telemarketing scams.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oOoMissEoOo

I'm beginning to wonder if that "do not call" thingy actually works when u register your numbers. I registered and i'm STILL getting calls from telemarketing scams.
Make sure when you tell telemarketers not to call back to say "Take me off of your call list" then they do but unless you say those little words they can keep calling. At least thats how fairfield worked. I was a telemarketer for a few weeks... it wasnt a fun job lol! But the money wasnt too bad!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get calls all the time from various scams. They've since stopped when vonage added a new block on their accounts.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was something on the evening news yesterday about a scam, that if you answered it you'd get charged $99 a minute.

I never answer a number I do not recognize and I will not answer something that has caller ID block - in fact I wish they'd make caller ID block illegal or something, it would be too easy to use that to scam people too.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That, and I was getting spam text messages (I know, right!). There's a way to prevent those, I have Verizon but I know other companies do this. On your online account info, there's a way to block web-based text messages, which is how they send all that spam to you. Worked like a charm.

The do-not-call list has worked really well for me, but then I never got much telemarketing calls anyway.

Someone was, however, using my phone number to give to all the people she owed money to. That was super fun. So, Patricia Cruikshank, if I ever run into you, I owe you an earful and a few 5 am phone calls. Even a private investigator called me. God knows how much money that *bleep* owed and to whom... it was real unpleasant. Her creditors were calling several times a day, and not all of them would believe me that I didn't know her.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The funny thing about Unlisted telephone #'s is that they dont remain unlisted for very long. They have a machine that starts at 111 - 1111 and keeps scanning a single number at a time, so the next number would be 111-1112 & so on... eventually it scans all the telephone numbers that are in service.

We have an unlisted #, but have been getting random calls for years, the best thing is to have caller i.d. and not pick up for unknown numbers.

We get advertisements 3 or 4 times a day from the same company, but different people each time. They sometimes pick random #'s to call (for real)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have had two calls lately that were collect calls from a prison somewhere. We weren't here, so all they got was the answering machine, but if you accept, it's like $4 per minute. On top of that, the inmates will try to get you to dial a number that will allow them to use your phone to call anywhere in the world.