Weird Noise

mcjamie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I am a first time cat owner, this may be a weird question.
I got my Maine Coon Butters a year ago at 8 weeks old and he is neutered. Just some background.
I picked up a laser pointer after a friend suggested her cat loved it when he was around 6 months old.
The first few times I played with Butters he enjoyed it so much but I kept it to short intervals.
Then about the fourth time around 5 months ago I played with him we played for a long time, he started making weird sounds, kind of like a whimper. I have never had a cat before due to my brother's allergies and have not spent a lot of time around cats that were friendly like mine. I have never heard a cat make this kind of noise and my husband who has had cats before said "You broke him." He was teasing but I am freaking out. Now whenever a cell phone or watch reflects lights on the wall he makes the sound and scrambles to where ever it is and just stares at it making that noise. We played with the laser light tonight just to see what he would do and now he's running around the house looking for it and making that sound.  Did I break him? By this I mean is this emotionally traumatizing for my cat or does Butters just REALLY love the light and the noise is a good thing, him being enthusiastic or something?

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it like this?

That's the I'm-frustrated-because-I-want-to-kill-something sound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcjamie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YES! Thats the sound!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty is hunting! Don't worry, that sound is completely normal. I find it cute, actually!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcjamie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Now I don't have to be afraid that I am traumatizing him!