Weird myths about cats you've heard

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That it's okay to turn your cat loose in the wild because all cats can fend for themselves.
Oh, yeah, Spike's a regular survivalist. He thinks cars are his friend and lettuce is tastier than chicken!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well on the creepy date I went on the guy's sister informed me that cats are evil and you can tell by looking at their eyes. And then she went too far she said she'd be happy if every cat on the face of the earth just died right then.
And I have heard the siamese are nasty comments before. I used to have a siamese cat and I was telling my neighbor about her and her hubby said they were vicious cats. This is the same person who thinks he has a right to shoot my dogs that are own my property if he wants to.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

That it's okay to turn your cat loose in the wild because all cats can fend for themselves.
Oh, yeah, Spike's a regular survivalist. He thinks cars are his friend and lettuce is tastier than chicken!
Oh man...that one drives me nuts!!

Along with: spaying a cat will make them lousy hunters (re: barn cats)

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not, a lot of cat myths are rooted in, of all places.....politics!

In the ancient Astru (viking) myths, the goddess Freya was the goddess of fertility, war, love and a few other things...she was quite popular because she had a hand in so many things I suppose

Anyway, Freya's familiar was a black (or white, depends on who tells the story) cat, her day of the week was Friday (freya's day), and her number was 13. When the church was really starting to take hold in europe, pagan children were instead told that Freya was a witch, that cats are evil familiars of witches, and that Friday the 13th was unlucky, in the hopes that it would turn them away from their pagan beliefs.

I'm sorry that I can't post a link to this, I got it the old fashioned way, from a couple of old books that I've had forever. I was always facinated by this stuff

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That cats can see in the dark. The can see with a lot less light than we can, but not in complete darkness.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday actually comes from the name of Odin's wife, Frigg. It is very common to see people claim its etymology in Freyja, though (I mean the books you have).

She's one of my favorites too.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Friday actually comes from the name of Odin's wife, Frigg. It is very common to see people claim its etymology in Freyja, though (I mean the books you have).

She's one of my favorites too.
WHAT??? It WASN'T Freya?? And now they also tell me that the brontosaurus never existed, that some clown of a scientist glued the wrong head on the dinosaur skeleton.....that there may actually be 12 planets.....and that Daniel Boone only wore a coonskin cap one time, for a painting.....

My ENTIRE education is a farce!!!!!!!!

There, I feel better now