Weird Momma Cat Behavior

kitkat90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When Sophie had her kittens she had them in the middle of my floor and she was screaming like an actually human being giving birth. Is this strange? Cause don't they usually hide and are quite? What would make her do this?

Since the kittens are now older she has been being rather rough with them. She'll like grab them and throw them around. I don't think she is hurting them cause they don't act like it. Could this be her way of Discipline or she is playing with them?

P.S. They are all fat, plump and healthy so she isn't ignoring them or anything.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is being a good mother. This is how proper socialization looks, and it is the diffreence between getting a kitten who understands how to properly play with others and one who is a holy terror. Cats separated from their mothers too young don't get that rough motherly treatment, and as such they don't learn proper boundaries. This leads to them being more likely to scratch, bite or generally not have self-control at an older age.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

She is being a good mother. This is how proper socialization looks, and it is the diffreence between getting a kitten who understands how to properly play with others and one who is a holy terror. Cats separated from their mothers too young don't get that rough motherly treatment, and as such they don't learn proper boundaries. This leads to them being more likely to scratch, bite or generally not have self-control at an older age.
Yep! Sounds like she's being a good momma! Has she been spayed yet? She can go into heat again soon.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is training her kittens and doing a good job. Please get her spayed so she doesn't have anymore kittens. What will you do with the kittens? Bring them to a humane society? That would be better than just giving them away. A humane society will interview adopters and will make sure the kittens get spayed and neutered. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkat90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I plan on getting her spayed at soon as they are weened and I plan on getting them fixed as soon as they are old enough. She had 6 babies her first & only litter. And I am keeping ALL of them. I don't trust anyone with there care but me. She is a totally inside cat and she had snuck out the house. As soon as I realized she was pregnant I knew I was going to keep the babies no matter how many she had. I went from 1 cat to 7 and I wouldn't change that for the world. =)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkat90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to put this on the first reply. But she is indeed a VERY good mommy. The kittens are plump and healthy. They have hit all there milestones at least 4 days earlier then the kitten websites said they would. It's to late anyways to think about not keeping them, I'm already severely attached to every single one of them!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitKat90

I plan on getting her spayed at soon as they are weened and I plan on getting them fixed as soon as they are old enough. She had 6 babies her first & only litter. And I am keeping ALL of them. I don't trust anyone with there care but me. She is a totally inside cat and she had snuck out the house. As soon as I realized she was pregnant I knew I was going to keep the babies no matter how many she had. I went from 1 cat to 7 and I wouldn't change that for the world. =)
Aw, that's wonderful. You know we just have to be responsible and make sure all those kitties out there are spayed and neutered!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitKat90

That's so cool that you are keeping them
It's neat you got to have them since birth. Midnight is the youngest kitten I've ever had. He was 3 weeks old when my mother's friend found him outside her house, and gave him to us. Watching them grow from newborns to adulthood will be so much fun