Weird Cat Peeing Behavior Issue

judowill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I have a cat (one of two cats) that has problems with where he pees. He pees outside (right outside) the litter box but poops within the litter box. This has been going on for about 3 years. Currently there are two litter boxes on opposite ends of the house. The "good" cat uses both. The "bad" cat uses only one. Both litter boxes are in a large end-table box.

He has been checked for UTIs and other standard conditions by a vet (diabetes, etc). The cat is ~13 but still highly mobile and active.

I've tried a few things and I could use some more ideas:
- Currently there's a pad (one gray rubber pad with a diaper on top) right outside the box. This is where he's currently peeing. We go through 2-4 pads per day
- Tried removing diaper ... still pees on mat
- Tried removing diaper and mat ... pees on floor
- Tried leaving soiled pads, just keeps peeing there
- Tried switching litter.
- I've used a dry litter that works an auto-cleaning system.
- I've tried clumping clay litter which I changed every night
- I've tried "natural" litter which I changed every night
- Currently the litter box is in a large end-table box.
- I've tried removing the door ... still pees outside
- I've tried putting the somewhere else fully outside the box ... pees outside the box in a circle

Things that can't work because of the layout of the house:
- Can't keep cats separate. I live in a large 1 room loft, there's no separation
- Can't keep the problem cat locked up, there just isn't a separate room

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judowill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, when cleaning I use an enzyme cleaner (Nature's Miracle) pretty extensively. I spray the mat liberally every time I clean the pad, weekly I clean the mat by running it through the washer after a ~20 min soak in the enzyme cleaner.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the boards!

Wow you have really been through the wringer with this! Thank you for not giving up on him. I’m not a expert on these things I’m afraid. Have you tried Cat Attract™ - Dr. Elsey's? I’m not sure it will help but it is something to try.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Have you tried putting out a 3rd litter box in a completely different location? Did anything happen / change 3 years ago before this all started? Do the cats get along?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judowill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A third litterbox is not a bad thought. Maybe I'll combine it with the Cat Attract ... really encourage the better behavior in the new place.

While he's never been a perfect litterbox user its likely him learning to live with the other cats. When my wife and I moved in together he suddenly had to live with two other cats (one of which has since passed). In our old place the litterboxes could be in a wide basement with plenty of space. He was probably doing it there, we just didn't notice as much.

In our new place we don't have a basement. So, when he pees "just outside the litterbox" he's essentially peeing in the corner of the bedroom ... 3-4 times a day. He doesn't pee anywhere else. Just there. So, we've been able to manage it but we'd really like to come up with a more longterm solution.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully the solution is as simple as another litter box. The recommended # of litter boxes is 1 per cat, plus 1. So in your case, 3 would be recommended.

TCS has some articles on litter box problems which might have some other helpful ideas for you.

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like someone mentioned, I really recommend trying "cat attract" litter. My mom has a cat that used to poo outside the litter box, but pee in it. After she got the litter, he now uses the litter box for pooping. I know your cat has issues with peeing outside. But it is worth a try!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said he's 13 years old, so maybe try a litterbox with a really low entrance in case he has arthritis? Also maybe try increasing his canned food, decreasing dry food.