Weird cat habit or maybe mine is OCD

vancats27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my youngest cat Elvis has this thing he does everytime he goes to drink and I'm not sure if it's something other cats do, because none of the many other cats I've owned or been around in my life have done this. Or if it's some sort of OCD thing with him, but regardless I would like to figure how to solve it if possible
Whenever Elvis goes to get a drink of water he has to scratch the sides of his bowl a few times before going in for the drink. Now at first I noticed he would do that when the bowl was empty in a way to tell me he needed more but he does it when it's full and in the beginning I thought it was funny and cute until he repeatedly tipped over the water dish spilling it all over. Now it's not the mess completely that bugs me because I'll clean up any mess my cats make because they are like my children, but when he does it when I'm not home he causes the other cats not to have water.
I've tried a few different types of bowls like stand alone ones, ones that sit in a tray (and those he just makes it come out of the stand), heavier types and he still causes water to come out. I thought about trying the kind with the bottle attached but am worried about him scratching it and making the water move to where the bottle releases more causing the bowl to overflow. I'm not sure where he learned this little tick of his since the other two cats I have which are his parents don't do that, and he's never been around any other cats.
So anyone have any input as to what this is? Or anyone have a cat that does a similar thing? Or ideas to resolve the issue or change this habit altogether? I'm running out of ideas and my mind having to clean up water quite a bit.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not think your cat is OCD. I have one that paws the bowl and one that paws the mat each time before he drinks. I have one who only tries to drink from a running faucet. I did a little research and read that cats do not like still water and they do this to make the water move. I bought a cheap fountain, but they do not like it. I solved it by getting a food mat with a rim around it at Walmart.

http://www.thecatsite.com/products/pureness-large-dinner-mat/reviews/4725

It works great and I do not have water everywhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vancats27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not think your cat is OCD. I have one that paws the bowl and one that paws the mat each time before he drinks. I have one who only tries to drink from a running faucet. I did a little research and read that cats do not like still water and they do this to make the water move. I bought a cheap fountain, but they do not like it. I solved it by getting a food mat with a rim around it at Walmart.

http://www.thecatsite.com/products/pureness-large-dinner-mat/reviews/4725

It works great and I do not have water everywhere.
I will have to try that, for the most part I think that may work. It may sound crazy but my two boys are like the pitbull of cats they strong sometimes to strong for their own good. Sometimes when Elvis does his scratching the bowl goes flying water included. I don't think he realizes how strong he is lol just the other day he was playing with one of his plastic ball toys and broke in half by stepping on it. His dad Presley used to do pull ups on the under side of our stairs all the way to the top. I'm happy my little guy isn't the only one with a little habit. Any recommendations for the type of bowl I should use on that mat? Cuz I would need new bowls the one I have now sit in a little stand.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use ceramic bowls for water. The mat I got is in the link. I got it at walmart for under 4 dollars. I have bought more expensive mats at pet smart and did not like them as well. In the review it looks like you can order on amazon. As for throwing the bowl maybe you could glue velco to bottom of bowl and feeding mat. you could remove to clean, but may make it harder for him to tip over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vancats27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'm going to go out and get the velcro and bowls on my day off, I did find the mat on amazon and about to place my order, I'll let you know if I have any success or not.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck!! After I got my mat now all I have to do is wipe up the little spilt water with a paper towel. It is rubberized so it does not slip around like some of the plastic ones.