Weird cat behavior

jenniferamiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it isn't so much weird as unusual. The youngest of my cats, affectionantely called Nibbler, just loves to nibble on my fingers...aka the name. We got him as a stray and he was really timid at first. Also, he like hates everyone else in the house except me and my husband. He just loves attention, from us anyway, and will simply purr and purr until we pet him. He is also quite vocal at times. I am mostly concerned about the biting. It's usually when I'm petting him. He will bite my fingers for some odd reason. he has done this since I got him and as much as I have tried to discourage this behaviour, he persists. I suppose I am simply worried because I am expecting a baby in July and I do not want him trying to nibble on my newborn infant's fingers. Also, he is REALLY attached to me. I'm a bit worried as to how he will take the arrival of my son. The other cats aren't so attached to me. But nibbler is constantly around, wanting attention.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and CONGRATULATIONS! :D :baby:

Well, I doubt very much your baby will be petting him, so I doubt the nibbling on the fingers will be a problem? :dk:

I'm sure new TCS moms will have some advice for you. I have no experience myself, but from the advice of others, I do suggest you desensitize him from the crying. Play crying babies on YouTube videos with the sound on to get him used to it. :nod:

Tell him all about his new brother! And as he's also closely bonded to your DH, when the baby first comes home, I think it's probably a good idea if DH give him more attention than usual. Make sure your nibbler gets reassurance that he's not being displaced. :rub:

And when you first have the baby, DH should bring home ASAP something from the hospital that smells like the baby, and share it with your Nibbler. :heart2: Have a play with him, and put treats down on it, and leave it in his favorite sleeping spot. Tell him his baby brother means good, fun things for him and get him associating that scent with fun and treats. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenniferamiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and CONGRATULATIONS!

Well, I doubt very much your baby will be petting him, so I doubt the nibbling on the fingers will be a problem?

I'm sure new TCS moms will have some advice for you. I have no experience myself, but from the advice of others, I do suggest you desensitize him from the crying. Play crying babies on YouTube videos with the sound on to get him used to it.

Tell him all about his new brother! And as he's also closely bonded to your DH, when the baby first comes home, I think it's probably a good idea if DH give him more attention than usual. Make sure your nibbler gets reassurance that he's not being displaced.

And when you first have the baby, DH should bring home ASAP something from the hospital that smells like the baby, and share it with your Nibbler.
Have a play with him, and put treats down on it, and leave it in his favorite sleeping spot. Tell him his baby brother means good, fun things for him and get him associating that scent with fun and treats.
Thanks for the congratulations on the baby! We are very excited! And I will most definently have to take your advice! Nibbler is a bit...nervous when it comes to loud noises so he probably will avoid the baby at first. lol. The good thing is though is Nibbler is not a very aggressive little kitty so hopefully he will do will with the baby. The main thing with Nibble is that he is spoiled. I freely admit that it is my fault. I find it hard not to spoil him...he is just too cute. :)  But yeah, he is pretty affectionate with the hubby as well so that will probably help him not feel so displaced once the baby gets here. I'm not too worried about the other two cats cause they are not as attached to me as Nibbler. They might be a bit curious of course. Oh, and when I say Nibbler, well, nibbles, it isn't just when he's playing or being petted. I've been woken up in the middle of the night when him nibbling on my fingers. And if he can't get to my fingers, he'll go for my ears...though he hasn't done that in a while. He doesn't bite nearly as much as he used to but he does do it on occasion. But thank you for your advice. I'm sure it will come in handy. Nibbler has been exposed to a toddler before, my cousin brought her one year old over when she stayed for a few days, and Nibbler did not go near the little boy. So hopefully, that is a good sign. But then again, the toddler was never in his territory, aka my bedroom.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On a regular basis, we see cats at the shelter who like to nibble on fingers.  In fact, we're fostering one right now.  If it's just gentle nibbling, I wouldn't worry, but I wouldn't actively encourage it.

By the way, we once had a volunteer who mixed up two identical cats in their cages.  As soon as I picked one up, I knew he was in the wrong cage; he didn't nibble my fingers like the right cat did!