Weird Cat Behavior Urgent Help!

catarang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone at TheCatSite, I have a post concerning a recent problem with my cats and their behavior:

OK, so here's a bit of background information: In our household we have 4 cats, 3 tabbys and another cat that looks like a cat with cow spots (The Tabbys are named Jesse, Dash, and Roady, and our Cow Cat is Sami) All of our cats (4 in total) Are around the same age Dash is the oldest (By default which I'll explain later) around 4 or 5 years of age, Jesse is about 2 years old, Sami is 4 abt. 4 and Roady is undetermined. (Also, all cats have been neutured excluding Roady

The story with our beloved cat Roady is that one morning I left to go to the library around 8 in the morning and came back to find a carrier with a large cat inside the tiny carrier on my lawn! I take the cat inside and find that he/she is tromatized with the events taken place and was suited in a corner for a week or so, after a month, he is fine now and is pretty friendly when ever the neighbors come over to visit. His age is undetermined.

Dash was our first cat which we got from Kiss at a Pet Smart in 2009 and is usually quite friendly, in the past he's had ear mites but the problem smoothed over with some prescribed ointment.

He hasn't had any major problems health wise in the past.

Sami was our 2nd cat adopted in 2010 from a man whos cats had gave birth to a ninesome in January of the year one of the last cats to be adopted was Sami, whcih we were convinced to get from an ad we saw posted at our local grocery. There was one runt of the litter. This cat is very shy and usually doesn't like to be upfront with household visitors. He hasn't had any health problems what-so-ever.

Our 3rd cat is Jesse which we got in 2011 from my aunt who nurses cats until they're ready to be put up for adoption. Jesse wasn't the runt of the litter (The runt didn't survive anyways unfourtunatley) however he was smaller than his brothers and sisters. He didn't have any health problems, but he's usually scared of people and run away whenever one approaches him.

Also our cats don't get along like a perfect family, Jesse and Roady sometimes bully Dash, but Roady doesn't really like any of the other cats as he is still adjusting to his new terrain. Sami is kind of neutral as he protects Dash from being hassled.

We have 2 litter boxes which are cleaned regularly and food is fed daily, wet and dry. The dry food is always eaten up first. And the wet food usually comes later. Fresh water is always provided . Dash really, REALLY doesn't like the wet food and he always eats the dry food. I've tried so many ways to make sure he eats his food. Many times he vomits his food on the carpet. Once Dash ate some palm leaves off my house plant and he got a little sick and regurgitated an hour later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here's the part of the problem, one of my cats keeps pooping on the floor, (The feces I find on the carpet never has blood except one time it occured with a small blotch of red) I don't know who, but I suspect that its our newly added cat Roady, however I've seen him do his business in the litter properly, same with the rest of the cats in the past.I may be a bit controversal, I actually think this is Dash's problem. He's been acting very strange lately. He's been moving very slowly and sitting in positions unusual for his standard. He also has been resting a LOT in the family room corners where he suspectidly does his business. He's not blind for sure but hes been sniffing around things as if he was blind. Maybe he'slosing his vision? (I'd cry if so D: ) He's been really sleepy and tired too. Earlier today I saw him chewing a bit on the palms again (Which I have decided to completley ditch by now) I quickly shoo-ed him away, I don't know how long he'd been chewing on the leaves until I got there. Also he's not as perky as he usually is, as he doesn't purr when I'm around (BTW this just began today, the pooping began a a week or two ago) and just mildly wags his tail. I'm going to get him and Roady checked tomorrow to see what we can do. All help and feedback is greatly, GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much. :)

UPDATE: The rate of poop has increased in the late night. Please help. I'm getting stressed with having to clean up from the feces multiple times a day.

-Me

Last edited:

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say you need to get Dash to a vet (not to scare you). If behavior is off, especially with posture that usually means they're not comfortable, physically. Bet of luck and keep us posted!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catarang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Taking him to the vet today, going to post an update of the results

catarang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: Found diarrhea in the corner this morning and Dash is purring now! :) However his pace and the way he moves is still a bit off will take to the vet later today.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very much sounds like he has irritated bowels, and is associating his discomfort with the litter box.

(if you stick your hand in boiling water, it hurts, so you don't stick it back in sort of thing)

The one time blood is def. an indicator that his bowels are infact irritated, as well as his diarrhea.

Be sure to let the vet know there are 4 cats in your home, since he will likely be giving you meds for Dash and you will need enough to treat all 4, since parasites are contagious and they share boxes and food dishes.

The poop is probably pretty darn smelly right?

Coccidia or Giardia is my guess, prob coccidia.

Ask for ponazuril rather than albon.

Albon takes a long time since it only inhibits the growth of the parasite allowing the cat's own immune system to rid his body, which can literally be months, but ponazuril actually kills the parasite, 3-7 days, once a day and poof, gone!

catarang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the poop is pretty smelly.

UPDATE: Vet isn't available until this Friday but I did get opinions from 3 of my friends (One used to be a doctor and the other 2 work with animals a lot) they all said the same thing, that it was emotional stress of some sort causing  Dash to not want to eat and poop in the main area where the rest of the cats feed. We'll find out what the official problem is at the vet 2 days from now. Thanks for all the support :)