Weird blood spot on my cats head?

Certified_lusor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!
I recently adopted a 2 year old cat a few weeks ago and everything is going great. However I noticed that she has these weird like dried blood spots. First one I saw was near her eye and there’s a few other ones on her neck which are the same bumps of blood splotches (which was difficult to tell since her fur covers it up and made it hardly noticeable to see). I’m not sure what it is and if it’s just her accidentally harming herself with her nails or something. I figured I might as well ask since I’m first time cat owner. Also her left eye seems like it has a reddish hue. (Update: I’ll have to post that later because she’s currently sleeping and I don’t want to wake her up :p) I’ll post the pictures when I can so you all may see them. I hope it isn’t anything too serious :(

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried cleaning with a damp cloth? She needs to see a vet if she is injured

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you noticed her scratching her head a lot? If so, I'm guessing she IS scratching herself with her claws until she bleeds. Things like that are often caused by a food allergy, OR she might have fleas. As suggested above, if she hasn't had a Vet visit yet, one is in order. Any time you get a new pet, a Vet visit is a good idea just so they can make sure everything is in order and then the Vet also has a baseline for the future.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Congratulations to the wonderful, and often exasperating, world of being a cat owner/lover!! Kind of repeating the above advice/information, I take it that your cat had gone through a thorough checking before you adopted her? If so, what did the records say?

Excessive scratching can be from allergies, but also things like fleas. The eye issue could be from excessive scratching too, but hard to tell.

Don't know if these TCS articles can help, but they certainly can't hurt!!
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Should You Trim Your Cat’s Back Claws? – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Certified_lusor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried cleaning with a damp cloth? She needs to see a vet if she is injured
Hey Maggie :)
Yeah I tried it after I saw your post and my cat kept wiggling away from me and it seemed to hurt her and when I would clean it nothing would show on the cloth from the picture i sent above so it looks dried up. On her neck which I checked today it looks like it’s still an open wound but there’s no blood seeping out or anything it’s odd.
here’s her picture of her neck (sorry for the quality my phone camera didn’t want to focus 100%)
80BF031F-E106-4392-A9F8-3CB037A78FA8.jpeg
B1C64551-10E6-45F8-BA18-197EF5DB44AD.jpeg
D77D3019-7453-42FE-B2CF-C1FF79C8DDB3.jpeg

Certified_lusor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you noticed her scratching her head a lot? If so, I'm guessing she IS scratching herself with her claws until she bleeds. Things like that are often caused by a food allergy, OR she might have fleas. As suggested above, if she hasn't had a Vet visit yet, one is in order. Any time you get a new pet, a Vet visit is a good idea just so they can make sure everything is in order and then the Vet also has a baseline for the future.
i have seen her scratch her head a lot and I think it might be her nails that are just really long so she unintentionally hurts herself. She also rubs her face against stuff but I’m not sure if that’s just normal cat stuff or not😭
I am scheduling an appointment for her to go to the Vet soon. I want her to get her check up and I’ll bring up the issue to her vet when I meet them because I’m really concerned about this :(

Certified_lusor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Congratulations to the wonderful, and often exasperating, world of being a cat owner/lover!! Kind of repeating the above advice/information, I take it that your cat had gone through a thorough checking before you adopted her? If so, what did the records say?

Excessive scratching can be from allergies, but also things like fleas. The eye issue could be from excessive scratching too, but hard to tell.

Don't know if these TCS articles can help, but they certainly can't hurt!!
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Should You Trim Your Cat’s Back Claws? – TheCatSite Articles
Her records only mentioned a few vaccinations she has and her microchip. When I asked about what to do for the vet stuff the employee told me that they don’t have my cat registered in their system for the vet care so I’d have to make the appointment for it. Plus the adoption form stated that she was in 100% health condition but I’ve noticed the red eye since the day she got home with me and then a few days later after observing her more closely I noticed the bumps under her fur where there was the blood. I’m planning on going to the Vet first and then if they tell me that the nails are the issue then I’ll have them cut down a bit so she doesn’t hurt herself. I’ll do whatever it takes for my cat to be happy and healthy 😭💔
Also thank you for the articles :D it really helps me learn more about this stuff :)

Certified_lusor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small notice I almost forgot to mention : when she arrived home I did notice on the tip of the inside part of her ear there was a red mark similar to the one above her eye but it’s gone now and I think it probably fell off or something. I sometimes do find small pieces of fur and it has like dried skin on it. If I find another I’ll send a picture so you can see how it looks.
Also do we have to bath cats? Like every few months or so? I was wondering if she’d get an infection from the open wound if she goes without one. Or perhaps she’ll be somewhat okay since her fur mostly covers it up. 🧐

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have never, ever given any of my cats baths, but some people do. For open wounds though, you can apply wound care, or clean the wounds with things that are specifically for animals. You can buy Vetricyn, which is for wound care, or do this (a direct quote from FeebysOwner FeebysOwner :

"If that area is sore - or, even if it isn't - you can use chamomile tea to help speed up healing. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest should she do so. "

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Small notice I almost forgot to mention : when she arrived home I did notice on the tip of the inside part of her ear there was a red mark similar to the one above her eye but it’s gone now and I think it probably fell off or something. I sometimes do find small pieces of fur and it has like dried skin on it. If I find another I’ll send a picture so you can see how it looks.
Also do we have to bath cats? Like every few months or so? I was wondering if she’d get an infection from the open wound if she goes without one. Or perhaps she’ll be somewhat okay since her fur mostly covers it up. 🧐

I clean with a bit of saline (I keep a bottle of saline nasal spray for infants for this purpose.) I just use a q-tip usually with some of the saline on it.

VCA is a good resource. You can always look up diagnosis, or medicine on their website.

Care of Open Wounds in Cats

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh PS. I don't bathe my cats unless something happens like when Magnus broke in to my wife's art room and stepped in acrylic paint.

I usually just spot clean with paper towel and water.

I keep a sample bottle of Johnson and Johnson's original baby shampoo on hand for if I need to bathe a cat. (Honestly had a neighbour with a long haired cat stop by before because they were older and too scared to bathe their cat who pooped in the car on the way home from the vet)

Johnson and Johnson used to test on animals (maybe still does), so I figured it safe and I've never had a cat react to it. I've had a few cats react to pet washes. Be careful that there's not essential oils in your pet products. If anything is for cat and dogs, always ensure that there's no products that are toxic to cats inside.