Weird Behavior

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not an advisor, but I will give my opinion anyway in case it helps.

She was given a Convenia shot 4 days ago, right? That's a long lasting antibiotic which should take care of any infection, including a UTI. I would ask the vet if it's possible something went amiss when they opened her up-did something get left inside her, or did something inside get injured? I suppose only an xray could tell, and that's more money. But at this point I would at least ask these questions.

You could apply online for Credit Care, which vet offices acceot. You get 6 or more months to pay it off, and I think if you pay it off within that amount of time you don't pay interest if you are a new customer. But you can't make a payment late even by a day or there's a big interest charge. I used this for vet bills a few years ago, and I don't know if things have changed, so you need to check it out for yourself. But this is an option if you don't have money up front for the
bills.

Is there more than the one vet at the clinic? Perhaps you could request a different vet to see your cat to get a second opinion?

I hope your kitty gets better soon and that you can get some good answers to why she has not been feeling well.

Last edited:

crackerjack4u

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That poor baby.  I can't believe they didn't also give her some SQ fluids before sending her back home for the weekend.  She's most likely not peeing because she's probably dehydrated.  As far as the UTI being gotten at the vet's office.  I don't know about animals getting them at the vet's office, but I do know that when a person is at the hospital that UTI are considered the #1 Nosocomial Infection-which means they are hospital acquired. 

I think I'd call the vet back and like the others recommended ask to see a different vet this time because something definitely isn't right with her, and if she is dehydrated, or if she can Not pee, Monday is a long way away.  If you can feel of the right side of her tummy see if it feel distended.  If her bladder has urine trapped in it you should be able to feel a little tight area on the right side of her tummy just up from her hind legs.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, this is a low cost clinic.  There are multiple vets (3) and she has seen all three now.  I did talk to a friend of mine who has cats and knows my cat and she suggested that the not going to the bathroom might be from the antibiotic.  She said each cat reacts differently to the various meds.  I was able to get food down her both this morning and this afternoon.  In fact, she is eating more than she previously did!  She has been eating so much that I can't imagine her not needing to go to the bathroom this evening.  I'm hoping that she also pees at the same time.

This evening I gave her a small (1 cc) amount of water.  I thought she was going to freak out but at least I got some water down.  I also added a couple of drops to her wet food so between the two, hopefully it will help.

I asked about the dehydration yesterday.  The vet said she was not dehydrated (showed me how to look at her gums and then showed me the scruff of the neck test).  Her gums were pink and returned to pink when they were pressed on.  I can't imagine how she isn't but.... 

I'm going to keep monitoring her and if I have to I'll keep giving her a little drink of water every couple of hours. I'll go check her tummy to see if it feels distended.  I think she's about tired of me pulling and poking on her.  Although, she actually let me kiss her on the forehead a minute ago.  It was an automatic reaction on my part and she didn't react.  Surprised the heck out of me.  She doesn't like me touching her.  ;)

Thanks again!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I think it's good that you're getting water and food into her - are you using a syringe or dropper, or your finger? I've had to syringe feed sick cats on a few occasions. They don't fight you when they know they need the help. I've read that Convenia can cause anorexia and lethargy in some cats. If this is a side effect, hopefully it will pass soon. I hope your poor baby starts feeling better soon.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Good to hear that she is eating and drinking and she's not dehydrated.
Keep us posted on her progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things are better this morning!  She has been sitting up and alert for about an hour and half.  She ate both last night and this morning and drank water last night.  Her body functions are also starting to work which makes me extremely happy!  She still looks a little rough around the edges but I'll take how she is for now! 

I tried to gently play with her this morning and she was interested but didn't expend any energy to make it happen.  She quickly went into hiding when she got bored.    She's still very skittish but I'm going to leave her alone and continue to let her hide for another day or two.  I'll watch her and make sure she is improving but try to leave her alone as well.  I'm just happy to see her up moving around. 

Next, I've got to start tackling all her hiding places.  I plug up one and she finds another spot!  I spent 15 minutes the other day looking for her and I have a small house!  She's very good at disapearing! 

Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments.  I learned so much through all of this.  :)

Carla

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That's a good report! Keep a close watch on her but don't tire her out. Let her recuperate and gain back her health and strength.

Yes, you need to catify your house. But make sure she has a place to rest from sounds and human traffic. Sometimes they don't stay at a place for a long time. They move frequently but it's good to plug up places that is hard to reach her and dangerous for her. Make sure she have enough area to move about.

They are good at finding spots to hide. There was once I couldn't find my boy for a good half an hour. He dosen't response even though I called his name. All because of the sound of the vacuum cleaner :doh3: So when I finally found him, he was behind some unused chairs with cardboard that I block her from going in but she still ,a aged to squeeze in. Now I cleared the whole room and placed my jumbo ironing board by the window for him to look outside.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful news that she's eating and drinking on her own again! It sounds like she's out of the woods. Since this kitty has lived inside with you for three years, I'm sure her behavior will get back to normal once she's fully recovered. When cats aren't feeling well, their instinct is to hide, because that's what they do in the wild because they're vulnerable to predators. Allow her to have her space while keeping an eye on her.  Poor baby! Keep us updated.

crackerjack4u

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that she is improving and get some fluid and nutrition in.  Maybe in a few days she'll feel like playing?  I'm sure she is still very weak, and tired right now for the huge ordeal the poor baby has been through.  Thankfully things are looking up so hopefully they'll continue to head in the right direction. Keep us posted and good luck.