Weight loss

kcase6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back in November our cat (approx 3 years old) was diagnosed with urinary crystals. So we changed his diet to Purina urinary st/ox both wet and dry. He stopped peeing in our clothes and had been his happy usual self since then; however, he has lost a significant amount of weight. I can see his waist line and he looks too thin. We did just have him dewormed since he enjoys hunting. He is happy, eats well, drinks wells and I believe he is eliminating ok (although he does most of that outside). Its just the weight loss. Could his food be causing it? I am on maternity leave and unable to pay for the blood work that I know the vet will want. Any suggestions?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What was his starting weight and his current weight?  A change of food could certainly cause weight loss yes but sudden and unexplained weight loss is a reason for concern.  Is he free fed or do you portion his food? If you portion it how much does he get per day? We need answers to some more of these questions to properly evaluate.

With that said, seeing a cat's waistline is actually desirable... cats at a healthy weight usually have a clearly defined waist. Can you feel his ribs? If so are they also visible/protruding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcase6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe his starting weight (6 months ago) was about 11 lbs and the vet felt he was underweight at that time. Since then his waistline is smaller and you can easily feel his ribs when you pet him. Not visibly protruding. I'm not sure on his exact weight as I don't have a scale. He is free fed twice a day, mixture of wet and dry.