Weight loss after vet stay

uagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coco has been home since Monday and is doing great! Per my vet's paperwork, she weighed 13.2 lbs on Monday morning. I curiously weighed her this morning, and my scale is showing 10.8 lbs. When I took her in last Monday when she was so sick, she weighed 11.4 lbs. She's been eating and drinking a normal amount since she got home, and I just can't see how she would have lost that much weight in just a couple of days.

She was on IV fluids for 6 days at the vet's office. Is it possible she was retaining water from all the fluids?

She's going in for an incision check today and I'm going to ask the vet then, but over the phone she didn't seem to concerned as long as Coco is eating and drinking.

Oh, she was eating Science Diet a/d at the vets, and now she's back on her Science Diet c/d, so I'm not sure if that could have some effect.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's more likely just a difference in scales, but definitely have a weight done today.Yes, fluids can affect weight, causing a cat to weigh more than not sure by how much, though, but I wouldn't think 3 pounds. Maybe half a pound.

Even a cat with a full colon can show a higher weight.

Hills Prescription a/d is a high calorie food, often given after surgeries or for special health problems. Mazy cat who is on the c/d would gain weight on it if I wasn't careful.

PS Hills Prescription diets like a/d and c/d are NOT Science Diet.

Science Diet, while also made by Hills, is a grocery store brand food. The Prescription Diet foods are entirely different and are called Hills Prescription Diet.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Oreo lost weight also after her surgery a few weeks ago.
The fluids can add up to 2 pounds onto a cat.
I give Coco fluids and have weighed her before and after she had fluids.
She weighs 2 pounds more sometimes.
I hope your cat feels better.
How big is the incision?

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking that also sometimes cats don't do well under stress conditions and so therefore won't eat as well. I agree with everything else that has been said as well.