Weight gain and Digestive Enzymes

pogo16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have your cats experienced weight gain with digestive enzymes?

I started using it two months ago when I was concerned about Pogo's elevated pancreatic enzymes during a routine blood panel last month. I also started to feed lower-fat raw food as I grind it myself. Despite the lower fat food, Pogo has actually gained 3/10 of a pound in a month! He's now 10.8 pounds and is quite active, mostly because the other cat, Hellion, chases him around the house. 

I need to keep him lean because he has arthritis and takes Cosequin daily. The vet said 10.5 pounds is best for him. 

Do digestive enzymes increase the bioavailability of food so well that my cat is getting fat? He currently eat 4.4 oz of food, which is the same amount of food before I started to use digestive enzymes. He's on Animal Essentials digestive enzymes. 

thanks for any insight!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pogo16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oops. Nevermind!!! I just remembered that I give him an a capsule of fish oil everyday so that probably accounts for the weight increase!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well...Digestive Enzymes DO help animals gain weight...so it could be a combination of this and the fish oil capsules.  BTW, Krill Oil is supposedly better for arthritis than salmon oil,or so I've heard from other cat folks.  Even better is ground up chicken feet. 

pogo16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chicken feet!?! Interesting! I'm definitely going to try that. I need to slim down my fatty.

I don't suppose those raw feeders compared batches with chicken feet against batches with just salmon oil?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Chicken feet!?! Interesting! I'm definitely going to try that. I need to slim down my fatty.

I don't suppose those raw feeders compared batches with chicken feet against batches with just salmon oil?
I don't think so, but chicken feet have a lot of collagen in them, which is supposed to be helpful for arthritis, even in humans, who usually eat them cooked

pogo16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks so much for the awesome tip! I'm definitely going to try it! Err…my cat is going to try it!